Author Topic: James RIORDAN – QLD 1898-1947  (Read 7664 times)

Offline Rathlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James RIORDAN – QLD 1898-1947
« on: Wednesday 25 January 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Irish patriot who fired the only shots outside of Dublin Easter week during the Rebellion of 1916 in Ireland were fired by this man in Firies Co. Kerry.
Wounded two Officers posting martial law posters April 29th 1916, was a dispatch messenger to local volunteer units with news of the rebellion in dublin and subsequent arrival of orders.
He fled to Australia via England then the USA. Known details as follows.

Address used was Post Office Allora  Queensland, later Toowoomba.
Born 1898 Longfield, Firies, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland
Parent’s names – Michael and Anne Riordan.
Immigration from USA to Australia c.1927
Occupation after immigration, was in Australian army and was injured and discharged was a family lore story?
Pension application for activities during the Rebellion in Ireland Easter week 1916.
Died 15th June 1947 in Jubilee Park, Curzon Street, Toowoomba of Pneumonia and Toxemia
Buried 17th June  Toowoomba Cemetery.
Commemorated with a plaque on the pillar of the local church in Firies.

Interested in any records to confirm service in Australian army or any occupations or places of residence prior to falling on hard times and eventual death.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James RIORDAN – QLD 1898-1947
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
A search for James RIORDAN in Australian military records - inter war and WWII, gave no suitable hits.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Rathlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, it may not have been an accurate story after all.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 17 01:01 GMT (UK) »
I am not understanding the dates you have posted.  Are you saying that he came to Australia after April 1916, then went to America, then came back in 1927?

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 17 01:27 GMT (UK) »
National Archives of Australia : http://naa.gov.au/collection/search/

I searched their online index for James RIORDAN and noticed THREE files that have not yet been digitised.  Two are held with their Queensland archives and one is with their Western Australia archives.   All three seem to be for the same chap (service number 2881) and all commence for service during WWI.   

Barcode 32543044 covers 1916 - 1954 and Repatriation Medical case files for First World War
Barcode 32456758 covers 1918 - 1954 and Pension case files, single number series with 'C' (First World War ex-servicemen) prefix
Barcode  32486240 covers 1919 - 1920 and Assistance and medical files, 1914/18 War, single number series with 'R' prefix  (This is the WA one)

Of course, that's info from the online INDEX, so there's likely to be more details in the actual files, hopefully including age/date of birth or next of kin, or other sensitive identifying information that will help confirm or eliminate that James from your family tree.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 17 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the Queensland BDM's death registration?  There's often quite detailed information on their registrations.

Ref C2409
James RIORDAN
Parents  Michael  RIORDAN and Anna LONGFIELD

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 17 01:52 GMT (UK) »
National Archives of Australia : http://naa.gov.au/collection/search/

I searched their online index for James RIORDAN and noticed THREE files that have not yet been digitised.  Two are held with their Queensland archives and one is with their Western Australia archives.   All three seem to be for the same chap (service number 2881) and all commence for service during WWI.   

Barcode 32543044 covers 1916 - 1954 and Repatriation Medical case files for First World War
Barcode 32456758 covers 1918 - 1954 and Pension case files, single number series with 'C' (First World War ex-servicemen) prefix
Barcode  32486240 covers 1919 - 1920 and Assistance and medical files, 1914/18 War, single number series with 'R' prefix  (This is the WA one)

Of course, that's info from the online INDEX, so there's likely to be more details in the actual files, hopefully including age/date of birth or next of kin, or other sensitive identifying information that will help confirm or eliminate that James from your family tree.

JM

There is also a digitised file available...not the right chap
RIORDAN James : Service Number - 2881 : Place of Birth - Sydney NSW : Place of Enlistment - Kalgoorlie WA : Next of Kin - (Mother) RIORDAN Mary
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8032643

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 17 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Agh .... thanks CupofLife for eliminating that.

JM

Offline Rathlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies, i was in bed here in the Northern Hemisphere  ;)
James was born in Ireland and had to flee as a young man after his wounding two RIC Officers in his local village. He fled in secret to England and then America almost immediately where he spent a number of years before emigrating to Australia c. 1927 but this date could be +/- 5 years. The story of his possible enlistment and subsequent injury and discharge from the Australian army was a family story told to me by a descendant of his. We have some digitized correspondence between him and the Irish Government as part of his pension application for his brief service for the Irish Volunteers in Ireland. Also have his death cert but i am not sure how to post an image.
Also is there an option to thank individual replies on this forum?
I have made a query to the Queensland Library regarding any info they might have from electoral rolls etc. thanks to some kind advice received by pm from a member on here, not sure if they want their name mentioned so wont for now.
This brave man appears to have met a sad end as he seems to have never received the small pension approved for him by the Irish Government going by records on his pension file.
Interested in finding out his movements and life while in Australia.
Regards all.