Author Topic: James RIORDAN – QLD 1898-1947  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James RIORDAN – QLD 1898-1947
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 January 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »

John McIntyre Hastie had lived in Allora up until 1937 before moving to Toowoomba, looks like he became friends with James during his Allora stay and this continued on until James' death.  According to the WW2 Nominal Roll Index John Hastie had been born in Glasgow in 1907 and he also had served in the Militia during WW2.

Gerry

Offline Rathlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 January 17 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, that reason for friendship would appear to stack up, will await service record details and revert.
Regards

Offline Rathlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 April 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Received the service record attached.
I think this is what the hand writing says-

"Cause of injury had   at Townsville  26.5.43 10.6.43 that injury  was accidental and injury comprised fract R(ight) 8th Rib  abrasion and contusion right elbow contusion of right shoulder  and was caused by a blow from a moving vehicle" 

Would a pension record exist i wonder?

Thanks again to all

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 02:47 BST (UK) »
Nothing new but details of his burial at Toowoomba.  The site says photos have been taken of all memorials at the cemetery but I couldn't see anything for him.  Perhaps there isn't a memorial.

http://www.tr.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/cemeteries/deceased-search/burial/4961

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rathlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.

Anyone point me where to start to look for pension application for that period?

Regards

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 07:55 BST (UK) »
I think you may need to ask national archives http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/askquestion/index.aspx

They may need to examine it and decide whether it can be opened for copying etc

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 08:23 BST (UK) »

".... he served in the Irish Volunteers during the Easter Rebellion of 1916 and was subsequently awarded a pension, following his written application. Sadly he appears to have died prior to receiving any monies."

When did he apply for this pension?. I can see that he would qualify for an Irish pension, for action in 1916, but it would be granted at a particular age, or when he was able to establish reduced capacity due to war related condition?

If he applied for this after his Australian war service, 1943+, is that because he did not receive an Australian war-related pension? Using his birth year, 1898, or from enlistment file 1903,  by death at 1949 he would not qualify for an ordinary civilian aged pension.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
On another thread (22 pages  ;D ) the poster asked NAA for more information available on his relative post-war.  After some months he was given access to the relative's pay card and 2 repatriation files.  I imagine that war pension application records would be similar. 

He could either request a copy (for about a hundred dollars  :o ) or view at a reading room.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756312.180  (page 21)

Ros

adding : whoops sorry fixed link
The above case is post-WW1 - not sure if that makes a difference provided person has died.
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Rathlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:53 BST (UK) »

".... he served in the Irish Volunteers during the Easter Rebellion of 1916 and was subsequently awarded a pension, following his written application. Sadly he appears to have died prior to receiving any monies."

When did he apply for this pension?.1936 I can see that he would qualify for an Irish pension, for action in 1916, but it would be granted at a particular age, or when he was able to establish reduced capacity due to war related condition?

If he applied for this after his Australian war service, 1943+, is that because he did not receive an Australian war-related pension? Not sure he applied for or received any Using his birth year, 1898, or from enlistment file 1903,  by death at 1949 he would not qualify for an ordinary civilian aged pension.

I will try and find out if he applied for an Australian Army pension thanks.