Author Topic: Griffith Family Falcarragher  (Read 5798 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Griffith Family Falcarragher
« on: Thursday 26 January 17 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Some time ago I placed a request looking for Sarah Griffith from Carrowcannon House. It now appears to me that Sarah was never at Carrowcannon House, yet to be verified but I am fairly certain of this at the present time.  In order to move on from there I have followed the line of William Griffith JP who purchased Carrowcannon House in 1889 and was I believe an inmate of Derry Gaol for some little time as he was connected to the Plan Campaign and a suspect under the Balfour Regime. Obituary "Derry Journal" February 1 1911. 
William died on January 30 1911 and his funeral account says "Derry Journal" February 10 1911  that his sons William, James and Joseph and daughters Mrs Jordan, Annie and Rose with nephew P Quinn, were chief mourners.
I have endeavoured to trace all of these people after this account, but to no avail. I think they may have migrated but have been unable to find any record of them. Nor can I find them in the 1911 census. Nor any deaths.
I have the birth records for all of William's children. I have searched the Derry Journal and other Donegal papers to no avail for any mention of any of the children.
If I was able to locate William's sibling who married the Quinn this would also be of some help as it may answer some questions I have.
I suspect Sarah was William's sibling, but at present I have not been able to either prove or disprove this theory as I lack Sarah or William's birth record. I now now the he came from the Rosses.
This morning I again looked at Sarah's marriage certificate and she does not make any mention of her parents. quite curious really. Her husband John McGuinness has listed both of his parents.
I think my best course of investigation is to try to follow William through. Even if he proves not to be Sarah's sibling he is certainly a remarkable character.
Any suggestions you may have of how I might progress would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Wren.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith Family Falcarragher
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »

I suspect Sarah was William's sibling, but at present I have not been able to either prove or disprove this theory as I lack Sarah or William's birth record. I now now the he came from the Rosses.
This morning I again looked at Sarah's marriage certificate and she does not make any mention of her parents. quite curious really. Her husband John McGuinness has listed both of his parents.
I think my best course of investigation is to try to follow William through. Even if he proves not to be Sarah's sibling he is certainly a remarkable character.
Any suggestions you may have of how I might progress would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Wren.

Often when someone has no parents names on their marriage certificate it's because they don't know. So Sarah might be a foundling or adopted. Often they acquired the surname of the family that brought them up.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 17 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Any clues in William Griffith's Will?
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014917/005014917_00129.pdf

William & family in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Cross_Roads/Carrowcannon/1171499

The ages in the 1901 census don't look quite accurate (and many of the children not in the household) so could you post their names & birthdates in order to make it easier for us to search for them.

Added- link to earlier thread on Sarah-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=65297.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn
Thank you for replying and that is a good suggestion and it may be an option. I have her death cert and her son was the informant as her husband was at that stage deceased. He states that her father was William Griffith and her mother was Mary Cannon. None of which I have been able to verify.
What I am endeavouring to do at the moment is to find William's birth cert. As William was Irish and lived in north west Donegal I also wonder how he came to be so affluent. His obituary dated February 1 1911. Says that he was held in high regard by both the affluent and the poor alike. quite amazing really given the state of the country at that time.
I am currently trying to contact Diane Lovegrove Bader who has just written a book entitled "Setting Donegal on Fire." This book is about her great grandfather Daniel Sweeney who lived in and owned Carrowcanon House for some years during the 1800s. This is in order to see whether she has any information on William.
Now you have given me another avenue to explore. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for widening my sphere of research.
Regards
Wren 

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey
Thank you for replying.
I have had a look at the Probate. It is as follows Griffith William [191] 29 March Probate of the will of William Griffith late of Falcarragh County Donegal esquire who did 30 January 1911 granted at Dublin to The Reverend John Boyle P P Effects £580 12s4d.
I wonder why William didn't have one of his children as executor.

William's children
Termon Births to William Griffith and Rose Campbell
17.1.1866 Mary Griffith d 25th Jan 1866 8 days old
26.5.1867 William Patrick Griffith
22.9.1869 Anne Griffith Dungloe
26.3.1872 Mary Griffith Dungloe
23.4.1874 Hugh Griffith Glenties
5.1.1877 Male Griffith perhaps (James)
23.6.1879 Rose Griffith. Farmore

1901 census
Carrowcannon Cross Roads Donegal
James Joseph Griffith son age 16 roman catholic
William Griffith 60 Head
William Patrick 30 son
Rose 19 daughter
Sara Teresa 17 daughter
Rose 50 wife
John 14 son
Joseph Francis 8 son.
Yes you're right there are offspring missing from this list. Given their births they may have had dwellings of their own. These I have been unable to locate. Nor have I found anything in the 1911 census.
I have spent some time searching immigration lists with no success.
I will post William's Obituary and Funeral account following this.
Kind Regards
Wren

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 17 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn and aghadowey
I'm posting the obituary and funeral account for William. These alone have inspired me to find out as much as I can about the gentleman.
DEATH OF MR WM GRIFFITH JP FALCARRAGH
We record with great regret in our obituary columns today the rather sudden demise of Mr William Griffith J P of Falcarragh and formerly of Carrowcannon House at the ripe age of 72 years. The deceased was a gentleman who was widely and favourably known and much esteemed over the entire district of north west Donegal. In all his relations of life he bore himself honourably. On the Bench by his breadth of view and his strict impartiality, he won the esteem and admiration of his colleagues and in him the poor, with whom he sympathised so much, had always a wise counsellor and sympathetic friend. As a politician he held the views of an ardent Nationalist, and while fearless in the expression of his own mature convictions, he at the same time exercised a laudable spirit of forebearance towards the views of those opposed to him. In this connection he was a suspect under the Balfour coercion reg, and had the distinction of spending a considerable time in Derry Jail as a result of the Star Chamber inquisition. On the passing of the Local Government Act he was elected chairman of the Dunfanaghy District Council, and in that position his ability in the conduct of the general administrations of he Board, as well as his minute and comprehensive grasp of finance, enabled him to discharge his duties with marked efficiency. He always took a deep and practical interest in the welfare of the people and the district in which he resided, and no later than last week he attended a meeting of the Parish Improvement Committee, recently revived in the district, where his valuable suggestions regarding the working of the scheme were always highly respected. By his kindly disposition and genial charitable nature, he endeared himself to all and Clonghaneely will long mourn the passing away of one of its most respected inhabitants. His illness lasted for five days, during which he availed himself of the ministrations of the Church of which he was always an exemplary member.

I hope this helps a little.
Thanks again
Regards
Wren

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »
This is the Funeral notice for William
The Derry Journal Friday February 10 1911
FUNERAL OF THE LATE MR WM GRIFFITH JP OF FALCARRAGH
On Wednesday last in the graveyard of Gortahork, was laid to rest the mortal remains of the late Wm Griffith, lately of Carrowcannon House, Falcarragh. The deceased gentleman was, in the extended use of the word, a man of the people and during the whole course of his twenty-five years residence in the parish he fully earned the title. Coming from the Rosses some years before the land war in Cloughaneely and Gweedore. Mr Griffith took his place in the forefront of the fighting and was sent to Derry Jail in the Balfour regime for his connection with the Plan of Campaign, then inaugurated on the Ophert estate. The late Father Stephens P P of Ardara was then in jail at the same time, being then C C in the Clonaghaneely parish. When the wholesale evictions of the Olphert, Stewart and Sweeney estates left hundreds of poor people homeless. Mr Griffith stepped into the breach and offered them houses and building ground on his freehold farm, which offer was gladly availed of. In later years he took an active part in the local affairs of the district, being for fifteen years a poor law guardian and on the passing of the Local Government Act he was unanimously selected  as the first chairman of the new District Council at Dunfanaghy from which position he retired after three years. Mr Griffith was an upright and honourable member of the Petty Sessions at Falacarragh and his opinion often carried him so far that he left the Bench occasionally when he could not see eye to eye with his brother justices. The funeral cortege was large and representative of all creeds and classes, and his remains were carried shoulder high the whole distance of two miles from Falcarragh to Gortahork, which testified the esteem in which the deceased was held in the heart of the country people. The followoing were among those present or represented at the funeral- The Most Rev Dr O’Donnell, Bishop of Raphoe; Cannon McFadden, Glenties; Rev John Boyle P P Falcarragh; Rev James Scanlon, P P Dungloe, Rev J Sheridan C  C Mountcharles; Rev M Ward C C Gortahork; Rev A Ward C C Falcarragh; Rev John Murray C C Gortahork; Rev P Sheridan C C Tory Island; Messrs C Quinn J P Stewartstown; C H Ward J P Barnesmore; Wm Kelly solicitor Ramelton; J E Boyle Dungloe; John Irvine J P Dunganaghy; DP McBeigh, J P DO;Wm Keown Bunbeg; Thomas McBride, Middletown; Hugh Dixon D C Meenlaragh; John D Kelso, Dunfanaghy; John Ramsay J P do; Charles Mahon, Wm Henderson and Thomas Patterson, of Murroe; Thos Cannon CoC Glena House; Charles McFadden D C Falcarragh ; Patrick McGinley, J P do; Dr McDonald J P do; John McBride do; John McClean do; John Sweeney do; Hugh Boyle do; Michael Colgan, J P do; Henry Walker do; John Wilkinson C P S , Robert Wilkinson Ardnadrean; Michael McFadden J P Gortahork; James Coll do; John McDonnell do; James Gallagher D C  Baltoney; James Gallagher, Ballina; Daniel Cannon D C Carrowcannon; Dan McGowan D C Oldtown; Thomas McClintock Carrowcannon; Thomas Benson do P McElwaine NT Falcaragh P Carr N T Gortahork P Breslin N T Baltoney; A Doherty N T Falcarragh, J Brady N T Killnit; John T Sweeney Falcarragh’; Thomas Browne do; Jas, Browne do; James O’Donnell do; Thomas Cullatin do; Wm Mitchell do; John Boyle do; Frank Sweeney solicitor do; James Boyle do; Wm Griffin, do; Dan Gallagher do; Edward Gallagher do; John Breslin do; Pat McLaughlin do; Jack O’Donnell do; Wm Seweeney do; Neil J Ferry Derrybeg.
The following members of the family acted as chief mourners William, James and Joseph sons, Mrs Jordan, Annie and Rose daughters P Quinn nephew.
The funeral service was conduced by the Rec J Boyle P P assisted by the Rev A Ward, C C and at the close Father Boyle delivered an eloquent panegyric on the deceased in which he referred to the edifying life of the deceased and exhorted them to remember the late Mr Griffith in their prayers.

William married Rose Campbell at Stewartstown on May 10 1865 William was 25 and Rose was 16.
Roses' father was Pat Campbell.
I hope this helps a little
Regards
Wren

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »

... William died on January 30 1911 and his funeral account says "Derry Journal" February 10 1911  that his sons William, James and Joseph and daughters Mrs Jordan, Annie and Rose with nephew P Quinn, were chief mourners ...

Just a possibility to consider...  Patrick Quinn was born on 17 March 1888 in Stewartstown, the son of Christopher Quinn and Annie Campbell:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02520/1933805.pdf

Christopher Quinn married 25 year old Annie Campbell in Stewartstown RC Church on 17 June 1883, she was from Stewartstown, the daughter of Patrick Campbell a saddler:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10939/5997668.pdf

When 16 year old Rose Campbell married William Griffith in Stewartstown RC Church on 10 May 1865, she was from Stewartstown, the daughter of Patrick Campbell a labourer.

Patrick Quinn and father (a JP) in 1911:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Stewartstown/North_Street/862187/

Patrick married an Ellen Corr in Stewartstown RC Church the following year.

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaffy
Thanks, these sound like possibilities that may lead somewhere.
Wren