Author Topic: Lowes and Clough - feeling as if there is a hole in history  (Read 2900 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lowes and Clough - feeling as if there is a hole in history
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 January 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I think the 1841 Lowes family in Heworth is the right one, just mistakenly put down as all born Durham. Ages are a little out but not unusual.

Esther Lowes is living with a Taylor family in Tanfield in 1851. This appears to be her mothers family, as from the GRO birth index for Esther and John George, their mother Eleanor Lowes maiden name was Taylor.

In 1851 Eleanor is down as born Newburn, in 1861 born Denton Burn, so this is probably her baptism.

1 Sep 1816, Newburn. Eleanor Taylor, daughter of Samuel and Mary Taylor, of Denton Burn. Father a Coal Miner.

The Taylor family in 1851 at Shield Row, Tanfield :

Mary Taylor, Head, 73, Widow of Coal Miner, b. Chester le Street.
William ", son, unm, 48, Coal Miner, b. Northumberland St. John.
Edward ", son unm, 27, Coal Miner, b. Gosforth,
Esther Lowes, Visitor, 11, b. Heworth.

So these are probably William and Edwards baptisms :

27 Dec 1823, Newcastle St. Nicholas. Edward Taylor, son of Samuel and Mary Taylor, of Kenton. Father  a Collier.

20 Jul 1806, Newcastle St. John. William Taylor, born 28 Mar 1806, 3rd son of Samuel Taylor, Pitman, native of Lamesley, by his wife Mary, daughter of William Robson, Native of Chester le Street.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan and Kay and everyone

Thanks for all the detective work. I think from your combined efforts that it must be the missing 1841 record for John and the Taylor link.

I just wonder why some of these records aren't showing up in my searches but the Lowes side is starting to look complete

The only remaining confusing thing I have now is the Edward/Andrew clough which I am trying to work out -whether it was just an alternative name or something else

Thanks all for all your detectiive work

Duncan

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Im just double checking and the evidence I have really points to the likelihood of them being two John Lowes. There is clearly a Lowes fmily from Tanfield. Johns parents are Robert and Eleanor (nee Hedley) and the 1841 record and the 1851 record of Esther in Tanfield fit this family

However all the other records have him born in Leeds with an aproximately 3 year difference in age

So I'm yet to be convinced they are the same. Maybe I need to track down Leeds records and find if there is a John Lowes born in Leeds around 1807/8

regards Duncan

Hi Alan and Kay and everyone

Thanks for all the detective work. I think from your combined efforts that it must be the missing 1841 record for John and the Taylor link.

I just wonder why some of these records aren't showing up in my searches but the Lowes side is starting to look complete

The only remaining confusing thing I have now is the Edward/Andrew clough which I am trying to work out -whether it was just an alternative name or something else

Thanks all for all your detectiive work

Duncan

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Duncan

Having looked again at the 1841 census for John Lowes while his age is transcribed as 30 the 0 could conceivably be a 6.

I may be missing something but the only evidence linking to a Lowes family in Tanfield seems to be one baptism.To my mind the evidence provided by Alan is pretty persuasive probability wise that the 1841 John Lowes is yours.

Perhaps the best way for you to resolve your impasse would be to obtain  some certs. eg birth cert for Esther  and John George. There is a death for an Esther Lowes of the right age in Gateshead Oct - Dec 1859 and a burial record in Heworth. Her death cert. and the informant's name on it might prove helpful.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 February 17 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yeah, its really strange. The abscence of other records makes it hard to pin down. I guess for me there are a few links to Tanfield

1. Johns bptism record (Robert and Elenor parents) - could have been born Leeds and baptised Tanfied I suppose
2. Esther living in Tanfield in 1851 - suggesting family links there

Other John's census records all have born Leeds (1851-1891)

Its just quite a few discrepancies but it could still be the same John

I will try and find other records too. For the moment they are linked as tentatively the same family

best Duncan

Hi Duncan

Having looked again at the 1841 census for John Lowes while his age is transcribed as 30 the 0 could conceivably be a 6.

I may be missing something but the only evidence linking to a Lowes family in Tanfield seems to be one baptism.To my mind the evidence provided by Alan is pretty persuasive probability wise that the 1841 John Lowes is yours.

Perhaps the best way for you to resolve your impasse would be to obtain  some certs. eg birth cert for Esther  and John George. There is a death for an Esther Lowes of the right age in Gateshead Oct - Dec 1859 and a burial record in Heworth. Her death cert. and the informant's name on it might prove helpful.

William

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 February 17 01:38 GMT (UK) »
The baptism record for John Lowes in Tanfield 1805 Parents Robert Hedley and Eleanor Hedley gives the abode as Lintzford.

The 1851 Census has the following entry in Trimdon, co. Durham

John Lowes 45  Head mar Coalminer Born Durham Linsford
Dorothy Lowes 39 Wife
Dorothy Lowes 8 Daughter
Robt Hedley Lowes 6 Son
Ellen Lowes 7 months Daughter

Linzford and Linsford looks pretty similiar to me.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 February 17 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William

So that confirms they are all a different family really, since my 1851 family was John (born Leeds) and Eleanor (born Denton Burn, Northumberland). So I can rule out the Hedley parents too

So I'm still looking for my 1841 record

I will keep looking Thanks for the help

regards Duncan

The baptism record for John Lowes in Tanfield 1805 Parents Robert Hedley and Eleanor Hedley gives the abode as Lintzford.

The 1851 Census has the following entry in Trimdon, co. Durham

John Lowes 45  Head mar Coalminer Born Durham Linsford
Dorothy Lowes 39 Wife
Dorothy Lowes 8 Daughter
Robt Hedley Lowes 6 Son
Ellen Lowes 7 months Daughter

Linzford and Linsford looks pretty similiar to me.

William

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 February 17 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Actually I would be inclined to interpret my last post in a different way as a further suggestion that the 1841 John Lowes in Heworth is yours.

William

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 February 17 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Actually I would be inclined to interpret my last post in a different way as a further suggestion that the 1841 John Lowes in Heworth is yours.

William

I would very much agree with William & Alan, I also think the 1841 family is yours.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland