Author Topic: WDYTYA Series 13: Sir Ian McKellen  (Read 5149 times)

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Sir Ian McKellen
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
It was a lovely episode with intelligent conversations! Such a change from the usual over-acting.  Also no travelling all over the country.
When he stood on "that spot" I knew how he felt!
(I would have liked him to be addressed as Sir Ian, not just Ian, I was brought up to call all everyone Mr. or Mrs. or "auntie" and "uncle" so to me it sounded too familiar.)
rayard.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I enjoyed it too.  His genuine interest and reactions to the information were refreshing to watch. 
From a small family myself I can empathise with him having to go it alone with his findings. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 January 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »
(I would have liked him to be addressed as Sir Ian, not just Ian, I was brought up to call all everyone Mr. or Mrs. or "auntie" and "uncle" so to me it sounded too familiar.)
rayard.

I believe that he does not like anyone to refer to him as Sir. And from the way everyone adressed him as such, I would think they had already been prompted not to.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 January 17 17:09 GMT (UK) »
This was a very enjoyable episode, and it really came over as if he was enjoying the entire process - if not, then he's an even better actor than I thought he was! But ... is Burnley in North Lancashire?? I'd've thought East Lancs....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 January 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I loved it..  He is wonderful on stage and off.. And what a family..

Such a shame he has no one to share it with or pass it down to..

:-X :-\

only disappointment was no photos!  surely they have photos of the Lowe/s somewhere.

xin

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 January 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was one of the best ones so far as it followed back quite a few generations. Of course those generations had contributed hugely to life in U.K.
I did feel sorry for him not having any family members to enjoy the finds with, wonder whether there are any Lowe(s) family who he could connect with.
It just shows that when one says 'it's in the genes' this would appear to be a case in point.
What a lovely man and so understated.
I'm so pleased the BBC seem to have gone back to showing more family history.
I agree with those who commented on looking at documents through his magnifier and it would have been nice to see him do some of his own research. Having said all that it was very enjoyable.
What I liked too was his complete empathy with the areas he visited and clearly had fond memories of.
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 January 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I loved this one.  His delight was so genuine and infectious.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 January 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I've just watched the programme and really enjoyed it.  My ears pricked up when they mentioned he was baptised (as were some of his ancestors) at Hatherlow, as my husband's 3 x g.grandfather was buried there.  We haven't been able to find a grave though, even though we looked in the present church grounds and also at Chadkirk chapel as the one shown on TV didn't open until 1845.

Hatherlow Church traces its history back to 1645, services then being held in Chadkirk Chapel, and it was the oldest Congragational body in Cheshire. The first independent minister at Chadkirk was Gamallel Jones, who settled there in 1688 or 1689. In the latter year the "Meeting Place" at Chadkirk was certified as a licensed place for religious worship shortly after the passing of the Toleration act. When they were finally ejected in the reign of Queen Anne, a new building was erected in 1706 on the site now occupied by Hatherlow Sunday School.

The present church was opened as Hatherlow Congregational Church in 1845, although the burial ground surrounding it goes back to 1793.

I was also interested in his connection to Warehousemen and Drapers schools for orphans, as my mother and her younger brother both went to a Warehouseman, Clerks and Drapers school (they obviously added the clerks later) in Purley, Surrey after their father died.  As they lived in Manchester, I'm not sure why they didn't go to the Cheadle school, it would have been much nearer and far more convenient for everyone.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 January 17 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Just caught up with this episode on BBC IPlayer - and I loved it.
It was obvious that Ian McKellan thoroughly enjoyed learning about his family's past. I loved when he realised his grandfather had gone to the school in Cheadle Hulme which his grandmother's grandfather had helped to fund.

This series has been excellent. Just a pity the BBC split it in 2 halves with Christmas and New Year in the middle.

Looby :)