Author Topic: Lucy Leigh Brocklehurst 1787- May 1866  (Read 6457 times)

Offline Anneke Starkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Leigh Brocklehurst 1787- May 1866
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 September 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn!

I am excited to meet you -- more family. Yay!  ;D

I am descended from David Leigh Dale -- in fact my brother was named after David Leigh. My Grandpa was Norman Brooks Dale and he is the son and only child of Harry Wallwork Dale and grandson of David Henry Dale, who was the son of David Leigh Dale.

I did get to spend 6.5 yrs. of my childhood growing up in the UK (my dad was in the USAF) and long since returned to the United States. We are located in Salt Lake city, Utah.

I'd be happy to share my line with you. Are you on ancestry.com?

I shared pictures of my grandparents in an earlier post. My Grandpa passed on in 1999, thinking that David Leigh Dale must have been an orphan because he couldn't find anything on his family --- lol, he would be so happy and shocked at how large his extended family really is.

I am happy to chat more!!

All the best,

Anneke Starkey  :)

Offline Phoenixf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 September 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Anneke,

I had read your post...and started including your branch in my tree. I have a tree on Ancestry.com; but am not a member at this time.
Have you read my previous post on page 2?

Robyn (phoenixf)

Offline harewood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 September 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
hi Robyn,

Just  finished travelling and only just seen your post! Three things

1) Lucy Brocklehurst  is very interesting. Reading  around it my take is that she was illegitimate but it was rumoured Edward Leigh was the father. He died without legitimate issue. For the next two generations arguments raged as to who should inherit the Stoneleigh Family estate. Lots of claims, a few unexplained deaths and the removal from the local church of a number of monuments to people who might have laid claim to the spoils. My wild guess is that's why a number of the family inserted Leigh in their names .. just in case. Fascinating stuff!
2) Buckinghamshire is lovely. I come originally from Staffordshire but we have lived in Chalfont St Giles for twenty years just at the foot of the Chiltern Hills. Marvellous place to live.
3) are you on Ancestry? If so, please let me know your code name and I'll have a ,look. It's the Dale family in which I'm mainly interested.
regards
Martin

Offline Phoenixf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 July 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there Family,

I am only on Ancestry as an unpaid member, sorry.

I have never heard back from St Catherine House about Lucy Brocklehurst, despite them taking my payment for the information. No response to any follow up either.

The information we originally were given was that a marriage certificate had been sighted by the person who drew up the tree I saw[ and who was known to the cousin that showed me the tree. Again I would prefer to see it myself, but it was obviously hidden deep.

Has anyone got hold of the book by Judy Stove-Wilson http://www.watersidepress.co.uk/acatalog/The-Missing-Monument-Murders-9781909976245.html#SID=34 

It really is an interesting read for those interested in the drama around the Leigh family.

I am on Facebook if anyone wants to connect with me there- Rambling with Rags will find me.

I have found a number of family during our rambles over the last year- more are more than welcome!

Regards,
Robyn

Offline harewood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 July 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
The dates bear absolutely no comparison but reading a  French history book recently I came across a Countess de Beauregard. Harriet Howard( 1823-1865)English,  was a mistress of Emperor Louis -Napoleon. Maybe, someone with a sense of humour decided to use this as an alias when rewriting history!

Offline Phoenixf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Family-
Further side stories- I have finally written a post about my visit to Stoneleigh Abbey- where Lucy's (rumoured) father lived his short and sad life. Please feel welcome to join me there: https://whoisrags.com/2020/04/15/the-bridge-at-stoneleigh/     Another post to follow in the next few days. There is also another side shoot from the Lucy / Leigh story. I have contacted this guy to see what stories he has heard from the past. https://herecomethehoopers.com/cheated-out-of-my-ancestral-home/

Offline Phoenixf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 August 22 22:33 BST (UK) »
It is a while since anyone on here has spoken; but I thought I would let you all know that I am attempting to write a book about Lucy (fiction based on the known facts). https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100082995859136

Also I have come up with an idea. If Lucy's mother was registered as Countess de Beaugarde; maybe this is a misinterpretation of the old writing. Perhaps her Christian name was Courtenay- the nearest name I could find to Countess. As Beaugarde and Courtenay are both French names, and it is more likely to write a name than a title on the wedding registration(if only we could find it).

I hope some of you will catch up with me on my 'The Lunatic's Secret' page.

Regards to all,
Robyn