Author Topic: Wilson and McFadden - Goulburn and Hillgrove, NSW before 1900  (Read 1085 times)

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson and McFadden - Goulburn and Hillgrove, NSW before 1900
« on: Thursday 26 January 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in any information about Wilsons or McFaddens in Hillgrove, NSW (near Armidale) in the period 1895 to 1900.
I have a great grandfather James McIntosh Wilson, married Ada Annie McFadden in 1889 in Queanbeyan, my grandfather Eric John ("Jimmy") was born 1895 in Hillgrove.

They seem to have moved throughout NSW following mining centres before moving to Western Australia around 1900 or 1901.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson - Hillgrove, NSW before 1900
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
According to Annie Ada's death notice she was born around 1874 at Rivertree NSW
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article37999176

Rivertree is up near the Qld border, however, the only birth I can see that looks right is Ada Annie MCFADDEN (10153/1872) at Goulburn (which is much closer to Queanbeyan) to parents James and Mary Ann. Is this correct?

Do you have the births of James and Ada's other children?

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi maddys52, thanks for the input.
Yes, I noticed the discrepancy between Goulburn District and the Rivertree remark, and I too wondered about the 300km or so distance.
In the list of children in the Western Mail notice of 4 Aug 1927 there was one missing, who was Rebecca Myrtle, and I think I have birth and death info from the NSW records (but have not had access to certificates or more complete information). I did work out that Ada Annie's death registration was 28 Jul 1872. Similarly, I got the marriage reg date to 11 or 12 May 1889 for James McIntosh WILSON and Ada Annie / Annie Ada McFadden.

Their children are as follows  -
Annie Hazel Isobel Mary b. 1891 Captan's Flat, NSW
Alton James b. 1893 Tenterfield, NSW
Ivy RAchel b. 1894 Tenterfield, NSW
Eric John b. 12 Sep 1895 Hillgrove, NSW
Rebecca Myrtle b. 1897 Western Australia
Alan William George b. 1901 Coolgardie, Western Australia

Their marriages and children and places and date of death are also fairly well known (w/o any certificates, but from some family information) and all of those children died in WA. Also, James McIntosh lived for many years in the southwest of WA (Kulin and Trayning) and died in the city (Maylands, a Perth suburb).

There is a suggestion that James McIntosh WILSON followed the development of mining around NSW (not just gold mining), but I can't discover from newspapers or other sources anything much about him. I'm not living in WA and haven't contacted some Wilsons in those southwest towns who may have some ideas.
I have 9 names including Ada Annie as children of  James McFadden and ?? Mary Ann MULLENS, and most of them were born in Goulburn, one in Queanbeyan, one in Bungendore (all NSW) between 1872 and 1891. Apart from Ada Annie, I haven't chased place and date of death for the other 8.

Apart from being a bit uncertain in the bare life statistics, I don't know much about these people and their lives and communities and on short visits to Hillgrove over the past couple of years, it was an interesting place in the 1890s through to early 1920s (with a few revivals of mining right up to the present).

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
EDITED this post ::)

Hi westernwombat,
Infant death so not listed at mother's death.

Western Australia
748 / 1898
WILSON Rebecca Myrtle
Aged   7M
Parents-  James & McFadden  Ida (sic) Annie
Born Mulgarrie

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
These brief notes about Mulgarrie bear out your ideas about James following the mining industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulgarrie,_Western_Australia

Very isolated. Sad really, a sick baby would have had little chance by the look of the location.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I worked as a geologist in those locations in WA, including Mulgarrie. In the 1970s onwards, this was just typical WA pastoral and mineral country (many signs of the old localities or townships had disappeared; sometimes, back in 1890s to early 20C the bricks were transported 100s of km to build towns / pubs in another gold strike area).

Hillgrove NSW is a bit of a "ghost town", as we're  inclined to call such abandoned settlements.

I had the basic info about Rebecca Myrtle, including the 7 months - but didn't notice Ida rather than Ada. Thanks for that. 
Her birth record: the parentage is similarly mangled - John, not James; mother's maiden name  Mcfadelin.