Author Topic: Noble family Aberdeen to Kitchener Ontario 1920s  (Read 3790 times)

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Noble family Aberdeen to Kitchener Ontario 1920s
« on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Should anyone be trying to trace this family back to Scotland do get in touch, I worked down this line and it gets quite complicated not to mention sad. 

Names include
John o/w Jonathan Noble b1876 Montrose, wife Jane McAllen Munro b Aberdeen c1879. Children born Aberdeen; John Noble b1904 married Ellen Violet Grosz, Jane Munro Noble b1901 married L. Francis Daly and Margaret Helen Noble b1908 (blind according to immigration records)

Wife and family immigrated on the Cassandra 1921, father had been working there for some years prior.
Logie, Lawrie, Davidson, Noble, Ross, Simpson, Fyffe, Moon, Setton/Seaton, Brough

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Noble family Aberdeen to Kitchener Ontario 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a section on RoostChat for recording our surnames of interest - might be an idea to post your surnames on that if you haven't already - go to the bottom of any RootsChat page and in the brown section under "your tools" you will see a listing for "surname interests" - click on this link.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Bit if a novice, hadn't spotted that. Thank you!
Logie, Lawrie, Davidson, Noble, Ross, Simpson, Fyffe, Moon, Setton/Seaton, Brough

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
No prob - you probably hadn't noticed that little section  ;)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lsritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I believe there is a link to Jonathan Noble in my husband's family tree.  His 2xG Grandmother Decastro Dobson married Jonathan Noble in Aberdeen in 1861.  As far as I can tell they did not have any children together and my husband is descended from a later relationship, however she remained legally married to Jonathan.

There are a fair number of newspaper reports on his brushes with the law.  His sister Jane married Charles Lawrie, and there's also a link to the name Ross.

Let me know if you think this is the same family.

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
It is indeed the same family. I am descended from sister Jane. Another sister Elizabeth married a James Ross in Aberdeen. Father was also Jonathan Noble from Banchory. I have now made contact with Noble connections in Canada, think you may have too? Just last night I found Jonathan appears to have had an illegitimate child, Isabella Hope Mitchell with mother Isabella Walker Mitchell in Aberdeen in 1860, so not long before he marred DeCastro Dobson. They later appear to move to Aston Warwickshire (Birmingham). There is a slightly illegible note in the margin of the record about a paternity action, which is signed in Nov 1861. I have lots of the newspaper clippings, fyi I am almost certain he often used the name Charles Ramsay which picks up even more misdeeds. Quite a character but not in a good way. So your husband is descended from Charles Low?
Kind Regards
Nicola

Offline lsritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 February 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes I had contact from Canada which set me off searching.  Yes, my husband is descended from Charles Low who Decastro remained with until her death in 1902 which is recorded as Alexandrina de Castro Noble (married to Jonathan Noble, House Carpenter, Journeyman). 

Interesting he may use the name Ramsay as that was Decastro's mother's maiden name.  Decastro (most likely known as Cassie) was descended from a wealthy Scottish family but no reflection of that in her life.

I'd be surprised if there were no children from her relationship with Jonathan, so would like to search more for something there.

Coincidentally my husband is also descended from a James Ross, at this point I'm assuming there's no connection with the one Elizabeth Noble married.

Regards,
Lynne

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 February 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth's James Ross was a shoemaker b1835 in Banchory too. Quite a common name in the area, a bit tricky because not many middle names to help  She died young in 1868, and he remarried, their children were dispersed a bit. I'd seen the Ramsay connection to Decastro, also a Ramsay family were major landowners in the area so he may have got it from there. I have a theory that Jonathan Noble may have expected to have a good living as a Carpenter in Banchory as his father had but that the business got into difficulties. In 1861 there is an auction advertisement for the sale of the property and tools of the trade of Jonathan Sr, he was still only in his 50s, and it was for the benefit of his 'creditors'. Not sure if it went ahead. He actually lived till nearly 90!
Feel free to message me directly, I can send you a copy of the Mitchell birth, the file was a bit big to upload here.
N

Offline lsritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 February 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, I saw the advert for the roup, however there are later newspaper adverts where he is still listed as a carpenter. 

Would like to share information but don't think I can send private messages yet.  If you are able to send me one that would be great.

Lynne