Author Topic: William Smith Bedale HELP NEEDED PLEASE  (Read 1523 times)

Offline binka

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith Bedale HELP NEEDED PLEASE
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 January 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
1891 a farm labourer, then months later on his daughters birth certificate the occupation is Farmer and they have moved to The Sewerage Farm. This place if I am correct had just started being a sewerage plant. The death certificate  says " a farm labourer of Borobridge". Which I didn't think was right. Also the age isn't correct, but I cannot find another death entry.
What kind of information do the workhouse records give and where are they held ?
Thank you again.
Kemp, Ellener, Johnson, Sturdy, Platts, Garbett Winspear,Payne

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 January 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
NYRO record catalogue here

https://archivesunlocked.northyorks.gov.uk/CalmView/default.aspx

The main part you would be interested in is whether it shows him as married and names his wife as Jane.  I only have knowledge of Liverpool WH admission records so don't know whether Yorkshire records have the same format

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/life/medical.shtml
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline binka

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 January 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
In the link you sent me for record office, do they hold the Knaresborough records? Also would his wife Jane and daughter be in the workhouse with him?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 January 17 23:35 GMT (UK) »
You would have to search the catalogue or ring the records office to establish availability.

If he was in the WH solely for the purpose of receiving medical treatment it's most unlikely his wife and daughter would be there as well.
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 January 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Knaresborough/

Scroll right down to the bottom of the item and see comments re: record availability under "Notes"  (it's not letting me copy and paste it)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 January 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »
1891 a farm labourer, then months later on his daughters birth certificate the occupation is Farmer and they have moved to The Sewerage Farm. This place if I am correct had just started being a sewerage plant. The death certificate  says " a farm labourer of Borobridge". Which I didn't think was right. Also the age isn't correct, but I cannot find another death entry.
What kind of information do the workhouse records give and where are they held ?
Thank you again.

in those days sewerage farms didn;t just treat the waste, but ran actual farms which made use of the effluent as fertiliser, so he could  have been a farm labourer

Offline binka

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 January 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help. On William's daughters birth certificate he says he is a Farmer in August 1891.
I am now beginning to think it is the correct death certificate. William could have lost his job and taken another in Borobridge. There is no other deaths what could be his.
My friend is going to the records office next week to see if there are any workhouse records for Knaresborough.
Williams wife Jane nee Boynton, her father Joseph Boynton is a taskmaster in Bedale Union workhouse.