Author Topic: Sommerville of Drumcree/Portadown/Lurgan - help!  (Read 949 times)

Offline dsommie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sommerville of Drumcree/Portadown/Lurgan - help!
« on: Friday 27 January 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - my Gr-Gr Grandfather joined the British Army (59th Reg) in Portadown in 1854. His name was Robert Sommerville (Summerville & Somerville spellings have been interspersed also!). It would appear he was from Drumcree, but I am not 100% sure. He would have been born between 1839 and 1842, and possibly lied about his age when joining up. His parents names were George Sommerville and Ann Sommerville (nee Burgess). I have not been able to trace any further information about George and Ann. Any assistance would be most valuable and appreciated!

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sommerville of Drumcree/Portadown/Lurgan - help!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Do you have more information such as the names of Robert's children and where Robert lived after being in the military?  I have Somervilles in that area with Pierce as a popular name.  There was a George b. 1810 who married Elizabeth Williamson and then  Ann Hopps as a second wife in 1852.  They do not match your Somervilles unless there is some confusion going on and there were more children from Elizabeth than the descendents know.  Mine are in Ballygargin, Lurgan and that area and went to Seagoe.  Many moved to Brisbane, Australia. Yours are not at Seagoe. The known history of mine can be found at North Armagh Family History Society GROUP

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
VERY confusing tree here-
http://www.thetreeofus.net/7/186999.htm

Think this might be your post which mentions father George was a farmer? have you checked Griffith's Valuation to get an exact location?
http://www.myirishancestry.com/genealogy-forums/armagh/george-sommerville-about-1840
Another on Ancestry Message Board says farmer or weaver.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dsommie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.
George was originally a Farmer (Robert's marriage certificate in 1863 statest that), however he is later entered as a weaver - Robert's Death certificate). I am assuming that after the Famine he went from farming to weaving. I have checked the Griffiths Valuation, but could not find a George Sommerville from the Drumcree area who would fit.
I believe the key for me is to find a marriage cert for George Sommerville and Ann Burgess; or a birth where they are the parents.
Robert's children were: Catherine; Robert James (died at age 7); Percy; Gertrude Hannah; Robert (my Gr-grandfather); and James. All born in Bridgeton, Glasgow except Catherine who was born in Aldershot.