Author Topic: Ancestor throwing down a challenge?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestor throwing down a challenge?
« on: Friday 27 January 17 09:46 GMT (UK) »
A prominent Ancestor who died 1957 was often in the local paper.

One article has him saying he could trace his ancestors ten generations on his mothers side.

Best I can manage is four back from him.

http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/31847296/person/18135564431/facts

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor throwing down a challenge?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
He could at least have had the decency to leave you his research so you had a starting point.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
The link only works if you are signed into Ancestry  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
He could at least have had the decency to leave you his research so you had a starting point.

I didn't know him died just before my birth

I have talked with descendants who still farm the land and they don't know. I'm assuming the knowledge was verbal history

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 January 17 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear! I'm sure a lot of us would like to get pages left to us like that bit in the Bible- so and so begat so and so begat so and so...

10 Generations seems like a lot to remember, even if you think of the possibility he might have known his great grandparent at most? Perhaps there was some record out there that he found. Perhaps a family Bible or something. Another possibility is that he might have made it up! I do recall a rootschatter saying years ago that they found an obituary for an ancestor's brother that said he was descended from some prominent family back in England- he certainly wasn't, so she said, but might have been a good yarn for him to tell and cash in from!

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 January 17 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear! I'm sure a lot of us would like to get pages left to us like that bit in the Bible- so and so begat so and so begat so and so...

10 Generations seems like a lot to remember, even if you think of the possibility he might have known his great grandparent at most? Perhaps there was some record out there that he found. Perhaps a family Bible or something. Another possibility is that he might have made it up! I do recall a rootschatter saying years ago that they found an obituary for an ancestor's brother that said he was descended from some prominent family back in England- he certainly wasn't, so she said, but might have been a good yarn for him to tell and cash in from!

Any number of possibilities. But you'd think he would have passed it on

Small village in Yorkshire with a Viking name. And a traditional on of encouraging youngsters to marry within the village. Although my studies show that while this happened. Many cases of outsiders joining families and youngsters who didn't actually inherit property or leases leaving to live elsewhere

If the practice of withinbreeding was more prevalent going back in time. There's need to be some Local safeguards to steer youngsters away from marrying some one too close generically
Using imagination to go further. If the village did have a de facto expert on such matters.  It quite probably been my ancestors mother.  He is quoted as saying on his mothers side. Perhaps she knew the detail. And he only knew the broad facts. More likely people 'knew' these facts to enhance their claim to the property they inhabited, particularly if there was a possibility of dispute:
His mother lived 1827 to 1920 and only had one surviving child

My grandmother. Who I knew, would have known her
I never discussed genealogy with my grandmother. But it's notable that I could be just four generations from someone who still practiced the verbal tradition

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 January 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 January 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
It may not have been purely on the Haigh side of her family, every generation back would have paternal and maternal names.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk