Author Topic: Ernest A Butcher  (Read 793 times)

Offline JEB01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest A Butcher
« on: Friday 27 January 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful if anyone could help me discover what happened to this chap, who was my great uncle.
I'm looking at the 1901 Census, which has the following family members living at 104 Milton Avenue, East Ham, London.
William E Butcher and his wife Mary, together with their four adult children, being Emily (aged 22); William E.A. (aged 21) who was my grandfather and who died on the Western Front in 1918; Ernest A (aged 19); and Ethel (aged 9).
I've researched quite a lot about all of them except for Ernest. Maybe I'm simply not looking in the right places but I'm a bit curious about him, as I discussed family history generally as a young man (I wasn't much interested then!) with both my late father, and with my great aunt Ethel (the 9 year old in 1901) who died in 1977, but I don't remember either of them ever mentioning Ernest.
I believe he was born in 1882, almost certainly in "London Newington", or Southwark, as the family were then living in Walworth, south London.
My thanks in advance for any help in this.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest A Butcher
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi was he Ernest Albert Butcher b c 1881 Camberwell? If so. a possible Army service record in the London Regiment 6th Battalion service number 951 occ Clerk for London Woollen Company, Clifton Road, East Ham?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
He married Amelia Rideout 2 June 1906 at Farnborough, St Peter, he was 24 she was 21
His father William Edward Butcher, deceased, sorter in the general post office, her father Edward Charles Rideout, Warrant Officer Royal Artillery.

He emigrated to Canada 1921 with his family left 13 May 1921 arrived Quebec 1 June 1921 passage paid by the overseas settlement office. Boat the Empress of Britain. States he was joining a sister and brother in law looks like Mr. Wisborn (its on ancestry) or as you know the family you may already know the name.
Passenger list
Ernest Butcher 39
Amelia 36
Gladys age 11
Eleanor 8
Ernest 5
1921 census Souris Manitoba Canada
Ernest Butcher 39
Emelia 36
Gladys 11
Ellan 8 (Eleanor)
Ernest 5

Ernest Butcher born 7 November 1881 died 30 April 1936 St James Manitoba Canada

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
The son Ernest F C Butcher born 1915 at Hartley Wintney Hampshire, October Quarter.
death registered Winnipeg Manitoba 22 November 1930 age 15, born 8 September 1915 Ernest Frederick Charles Butcher

daughter Gladys Amelia Butcher married William Sydney Stephens 2 June 1931 St James Manitoba Canada.

Offline JEB01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for those replies - "impressive" hardly does it justice.

You have definitely identified him Amondg, as his father was indeed William Edward Butcher, who died in 1902, and whose death certificate states that he was a post office sorter.

Emigration to Canada would explain why he became something of an invisible man. As it happens, my wife and I are going to see friends in Canada later this year, so you never know....