Author Topic: Curries of South Uist  (Read 4706 times)

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Curries of South Uist
« on: Friday 27 January 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on an Alexander Currie. He was from South Uist and came to Cape Breton in the 1820's. He married Ann McIntyre in 1833 here (I have a record for that) and was Roman Catholic.

In the book "A West Wind to East Bay" on page 58 it states, "Another Currie family that originated in East Bay, but eventually settled in Glace Bay, was that of ALEXANDER Currie. I am told that his father's name was Duncan and that his mother was a MacDonald, but I have been unable to verify this or make any connection with the other Currie families we are discussing. Alexander was born in South Uist and was drowned along with his brother-in-law off Glace Bay According to the records of Sacred Heart Parish, Sydney, he married Anne MacIntyre in 1833. They had at leaset ten children: I. Angus; II. Sandy; III. Mary Sarah; IV. Mary Ann; V Jane; the twins, VI. Daniel and VII. Mary; VIII. Ronald; IX. Catherine; and X. Joseph." It then goes on to discuss the children and their descendants. I do have a death record for Alexander.
Interestingly enough a witness to Alexander (who was also called Alex at times) was a man named Ronald (Renald Curry on Alexander's marriage record) Currie, whom I am assuming was a brother or cousin.

On page 55 of the same book Ronald is listed as Raonull and it states the following: "There was a family of Curries settled at Gillis Lake. This was the family of RAONULL Curry, son of Domhnull, son of Iain, son of Domhnull, of Druimmor, South Uist. He was born in Scotland, but died before the 1871 census and, so, I have no dates for him." It goes on to list who he married and their descendants.

Than later on page 62 of the same book it goes on to state: "The next family of Curries to be treated here is the family of LACHLANN mac IAIN 'ic DHONNCHAIDH 'ic SHEUMAIS ("Laughlin, son of John, son of Duncan, son of James"). He was born in Scotland and came and settled in the backlands of North Side East Bay between MacAdam's Lake and Steele's Crossing. I don't know who his wife was and I believe he died shortly after coming to this country. He had at least two children that I know of: OIGHRIG; and LACHLANN. I have been told that there were at least three other children: DOMHNULL; DOMHNULL BAN; and AGNES, but of these I know nothing more. There is the possibility that one of these Domhnulls was the father of Raonull Currie, who settled at Gillis Lake. In one of his articles in The Casket Michael D. Currie said that Raonull's father was Domhnull mac Iain 'ic Dhomhnuill. There could have been a typographical error introduced when Michael D.'s letter was being transcribed for printing at the newspaper office. Perhaps it should have read "Domhnull mac Iain 'ic Dhonnchaidh". I have not been able to locate Michael D.'s papers, so I cannot compare the originals with the newspaper articles."

I am trying to find out if there is more information on my Alexander and how he pertains to the Curries of South Uist.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Curries of South Uist
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 17 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessiboo,

Sorry I can't be of much help as the dates are too far back  :(

Here's a good map of South Uist showing where 'Druimmor' (Drimore) is (the north end of the island)

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400298

I'm a Currie descendant but unfortunately the records on Uist don't go back far enough for me to establish a connection although I believe they were all related?

My 3 x G G/father Donald Currie b c1800, d bet. 1841 & 1851 married Marion Steele.

Their 4 (known) children:

Donald 1822
John 1824
Janet c 1826
Margaret c 1829

I noticed you have the following but not sure if you know the English meaning?

OIGHRIG (Euphemia/Effie) with other variants (always a help for other researchers)

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for that.  I did know, but that's how it appeared in the book I have.  I also notice you have Mc/MacKinnons in Canada.  Do you know who/where yours are based in Canada?  I have several lines from Nova Scotia LOL

Have you ever done your DNA?  I'm on all 3 major testing sites and gedmatch.

Jessie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 17 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

I believe I would have had distant ancestors who emigrated to Canada but no way of proving who/when/where to.

I currently have relatives descended from my MacKinnon line who emigrated much later to Ontario (mainly Toronto) & some who ended up in different places such as Manitoba as well as New York & Illinois (USA).

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Okay!  I match some from Ontario and Manitoba too LOL 

Thanks for letting me know!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Jessie,

My brother has had his DNA done by 23andme but not uploaded to gedmatch....YET!

Hopefully at some point as he's not genealogically minded (I'm the genealogist in the family) & I'm not 'up' on DNA & how to transfer etc. as it's all new to us both.

I have access to his info. & who he's connected to but have only been in touch with a few to date.

Annie

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 17 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Encourage him please!!!!  I bet we're related some how!!!!

Sorry the photos were so huge... holy cow LOL

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 17 02:14 GMT (UK) »
I will do Jessie as I have had help on one of my threads on how he can do it but at the moment he's really busy with his business & work which takes up a lot of his time as he's self employed, working long hours.

Can you PM me your tree on 'Fancestry' please  ;D & I will have a look.

The thing which is strange, my Currie connection is through my paternal g/mother's line (Steele) whereas my MacKinnon connection is my paternal direct line?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 17 02:22 GMT (UK) »
I noticed you have the surname MacNeil (with 1 'L') & if they were in Nova Scotia there's a good chance they could/would possibly be descended from the MacNeil's of Island of Barra (Inverness-shire, Scotland)?

Annie