Author Topic: Curries of South Uist  (Read 4700 times)

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curries of South Uist
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 February 17 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes they all were :)  Every single blessed line.  Trying to figure THAT out with DNA is fun (sarcasm). 

If you pm me your username on ancestry or your email I will add you to my family tree and you can take a look :)

Jessie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 17 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

I notice a lot of names which could relate to South Uist & Barra (or is it just a coincidence)?

Eachann H MacNeil (Eachann = Hector)
Seumas = James
MacSween although not too common & seem to be on other islands too such as Harris…My uncle’s mother (a MacSween) was kind of ‘famous’ from Scalpay, Harris (another story)!
Iain John MacKinnon (Iain = John)
Neil Ban MacNeil (Ban = Fair/Blond)
Hugh E MacSween (Hugh = Ewen (with a few variants)

That’s as much as I’ve looked at for now but certainly shows there may definitely be connections with Uist & Barra?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 February 17 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Almost ALL my matches on my father's mother's side are from North Uist, South Uist, Barra, Isle of Rum (God I love that name) and Isle of Muck.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 February 17 03:43 GMT (UK) »
I've been to Rum & Eigg but it was a day trip which included both i.e. not much time to do any foraging in Family History.

A nice trip to both (at the time) but very rushed i.e. not something I would recommend to anyone who wants to research their ancestors.

I would recommend them do a trip which enables them to stay overnight as there were only a few hours to spare on each island on the day trip but beautiful just as the Uists are!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 February 17 03:45 GMT (UK) »
I have 4 kids that I homeschool, but I'm planning a trip for about 10 days next year alone while my husband stays with the kids at home.  I'm hoping to to a tour of them, not sure about research because that could take me months there ;)  I keep telling my husband we should move there, but he says with his job he can't LOL 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 February 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Rum was cleared of it's people, a good read is "Barefeet & Tackety Boots!" the author is an Archie Cameron.

Skoosh.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I realise this is a little late. I can maybe add to your information on Alexander Currie. This depends on when he emigrated to Canada though. I have a Flora Currie born circa 1828 on South Uist. Her parents are Alexander Currie and Margaret MacVicar, listed on the Baptismal certificate. She was also illegitimate and the couple didn't stay together. For below Alexander's name is written - "Now lives in Cape Breton". This may mean my entire family tree from Flora Currie is connected to your own. And I am fascinated at how far back the father-father line goes for Ranald Currie. Any identifications to these very far back ancestors?

Best Wishes,

Anthony

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 21:31 GMT (UK) »
"I have a Flora Currie born circa 1828 on South Uist. Her parents are Alexander Currie and Margaret MacVicar, listed on the Baptismal certificate. She was also illegitimate. For below Alexander's name is written - "Now lives in Cape Breton"

Anthony, it sure looks like the same person.

This is a great example of why viewing the original record can give so much more.

I have a transcription for the baptism which reads;

Flora (natural dau.) Alex Currie  Margaret Macvicar    Cape Breton/L'boisdale 24-Feb

The 'Cape Breton' info. isn't apparent on the index on SP i.e. the original is always worth viewing as the extra info. you found is interesting.

Annie

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 March 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I noticed you have the surname MacNeil (with 1 'L') & if they were in Nova Scotia there's a good chance they could/would possibly be descended from the MacNeil's of Island of Barra (Inverness-shire, Scotland)?

Annie

My great grandmother was Annie Mae MacNeil.  As far as I know all my lines are from Barra, and one could have more connections to Argyll with the MacNeils that have double "L"s.  What ancestors are not from Barra and isles connected to it, they are from South Uist. 

Further DNA testing has shown with matches to second cousins that I in fact do not have Curries at all.  :(  There were two Mary MacKinnons that were actually 2nd cousins through MacIntyres of South Uist LOL.  It was thought that either one of them was mine and it turned out that the one from the family that had most of their children pass away was actually mine based on the DNA matches. 

Think we still have a match from the MacKinnons?

Jessie