Author Topic: Thomas Henry Slator (Slater) naturalization in San Francisco 1894  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Artsangelssheila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henry Slator (Slater) naturalization in San Francisco 1894
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 January 17 05:35 GMT (UK) »
So I found her in the 1920 census, back in San Francisco. She was living with the Tillerman family and her occupation was companion. By 1930 she was remarried to a William H Vonder Beeck, and living in Santa Barbara. Can't find her in 1940, but I just found her death - Nov 1977. She was born on July 25, 1876! She lived a very long life. She is buried in Santa Barbara.
Sheila

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 January 17 05:42 GMT (UK) »
What a huge amount of information we've (you really) have found in a short time.
She saw a lot of California after she left Michigan.
Her father was Barney McCloskey, born in Ireland about 1810, who farmed in Michigan.
It seems that Barney's second wife Harriett died just days after him in 1892. I wonder if there was some kind of catastrophe that hit them.
I don't need to watch fiction. I get my entertainment here.
Thanks so much.
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 January 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
For some reason Anc***** is not showing me the 1920 US census record for Mildred with the Tillerman family in San Francisco.
Can anybody help please.
Is she Mildred Slator or Slater or McCloskey or even Tillerman?
RPJ

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 January 17 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I can't read the image, but a possibility that I found
1920 San Francisco Assembly District 31
Mildred Seator/Sinor, age 42 (born c1878) Michigan.  Widowed.  Companion
Father born Ireland, mother born Michigan
2006? Washington Street

Note:  The image is easier to read on familysearch
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 January 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »
In case you might be interested in Mr. Slator - perhaps he was a postmaster for a short time?  :-\
14 July 1897, San Francisco Call
Amalie, Kern County - T. H. Slator
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jde/

Update:  Looking at the 1896 Voter Reg, your Mr. Slator was living in Amalie at one time.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 January 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
1900 San Francisco Directory
Thomas H. Slater, bookkeeper, Tesla Coal Co., cor. Utah and Channel
  No residence address

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 January 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Lisa.
You've got the right lady.
I am very interested in Thomas Henry Slator and anything you can find is appreciated. I'll order his 1908 death certificate if I don't find the details elsewhere.
"cor. Utah and Channel" - What does that mean?
R
RPJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 January 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Corner of Utah and Channel Streets, I believe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 January 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Family records state that Thomas Henry Slator (or Slater), born 29th December 1858 in Paddington, England, married a Mildred McCloskey.
Thomas died on 17th September 1908 in Tuolomne, California.
I found a record that says he was naturalized in San Francisco, California on 20th September 1894.
Can somebody access any pertinent records for me please.

You also mentioned Sonora, so you most likely know about the following:

According to a website (I don't know if we can name all websites?)  :-\
Thomas Henry Slator, 1858 - 1902.  Native of England
Buried in Masonic Cemetery, Sonora California
https://billiongraves.com/grave/Thomas-Henry-Slator/15834627#/

Have you tried contacting the cemetery office to see if they might be able to share any information about him?
When I was researching a brickwall ancestor, all I knew was the he was born in England (that narrows the search down).   ;)  I contacted the cemetery office (in Canada) where he was buried, explained my connection (he is a direct ancestor) and they gave me his exact place of birth in England as well as details about those buried with him.

Perhaps you may be lucky about obtaining information about the T H Slator who was buried in Masonic Cemetery?