Author Topic: Merchant Seaman UK - Baron Blythswood  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Sailormannn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Seaman UK - Baron Blythswood
« on: Saturday 28 January 17 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I'm trying to find an ancestor (E Hardwick) who was in the UK Merchant Marine. 

I managed to find his CR2 on the BT364 combined list that is available online on FindMyPast.com. That record shows him engaged on 5 Dec 1935 on the merchant ship "Baron Blythswood" (#161807). No other ships are listed. The Baron Blythswood was torpedoed on 21 Sep 1940 by a U-Boat (U-99) with all but one crew member perishing.

Apparently the one surviving crew member (unnamed) was picked up by a U-Boat and subsequently handed over to a lifeboat. The published info on the crew that perished doesn't include Hardwick, so it appears he either survived or wasn't on the ship at the time. His name is E. Hardwick, born 1893 in Felling, Durham. His discharge number is R-131083.

I'm looking for any other information on him.  I've tried searching his discharge number online through the Archives, but so far nothing. I'm wondering if he stayed in the Merchant Marine after 1940. I tried looking up BT 382/731 but it doesn't list the specific names. Any further research would have to be undertaken onsite at Kew which is difficult since I'm in Canada.

Looking for suggestions/help in pursuing. If anyone has further suggestions or access to additional info it would be much appreciated.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seaman UK - Baron Blythswood
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 17 03:05 GMT (UK) »
E?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
A difficult one this.

Ernest Hardwick's only record in the Fourth Register of Seamen shows him on the BARON BLYTHSWOOD in 1935. It was normally the case that all those who went on to serve in WW2 had there records transferred into the Fifth Register of Seamen, normally but not always. I have to say I have seen records in both registers. BT 364 was compiled for reasons unknown but you will often find cards there for seamen who did serve during WW2 and beyond.

The only way to find out if he served during WW2 would be to obtain his CRS 10 in series BT 382 which you have correctly identified is not named to individuals. The file will consist of up to 60 other names in surname block order hence the reason you cannot see any names.

I am interested in your mention of a survivor when BARON BLYTHSWOOD went down. To my knowledge there were no survivors. You would need to obtain the last Crew Agreement for BARON BLYTHSWOOD held at Kew in piece BT 381/416 under her official number, 161807, and cross refer to the known list of casualties against the actual list of the crew if you believe otherwise.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Sailormannn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I've come across a few references saying there was one survivor as follows:

U.99 sank British steamer BARON BLYTHSWOOD (3668grt) in 56‑00N, 23‑00W.  There was only one survivor from BARON BLYTHSWOOD. He was picked up by U.99 and placed in an INVERSHANNON lifeboat. The survivor was rescued by destroyer SHIKARI.

Unfortunately I can't find any details on who it was. 

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
This link seems to give credence to a survivor. http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id55.html
However, if he was placed in one of the INVERSHANNON's lifeboats it seems they were picked up by HMS FLAMINGO and HMS FANDANGO. According to the link above he was placed in a lifeboat with others and not on his own.

Cross reference of the last Crew Agreement may be the way to go or maybe obtain the survivor's report for INVERSHANNON held at Kew in piece ADM 199/2134 page 28.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Sailormannn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 January 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
It's a fascinating story. Unfortunately there's no easy way for me to access the records at Kew.

I was however able to find a reference in Clay Blair's book: Hitler's U-Boat War (below) that the sailor rescued was named Joseph Byrne. So the search for Ernest Hardwick continues. It appears he wasn't on the Baron Blythswood that fateful day September 21, 1940.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=E8GDrZJEAGIC&pg=PA194&lpg=PA194&dq=Survivors'+Report+barons+blythswood&source=bl&ots=XKjQG4CNAC&sig=WxaCqzIGreO5yRtkxvnHG89psB8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7neaD1-XRAhVr1oMKHQIEBBoQ6AEIJzAE#v=onepage&q=Survivors'%20Report%20barons%20blythswood&f=false

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 January 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
OK - if your rule out BARON BLYTHSWOOD and you still want to find out if he served in the MN during WW2 you will need to get that CRS 10, there is no other way given the only information we have on him is a CR1 and CR2 card from The Fourth Register of Seamen.

You can obtain the CRS 10 via the Kew research service but it is expensive. I can put you in touch with someone who will copy for you at Kew for reasonable cost. Send me a pm if you wish me to pass on details.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
 Hugh is totally correct with his comments regarding the Crew Agreement of BARON BLYTHSWOOD and the CRS10 of Ernest Hardwick.
Before you start spending your cash, I would try a post on the forum at UBoat.net. http://uboat.net/forums/list.php?3 there are some knowledgeable people on there and you may be able to get hold of the KTB of U99.
That said UBoat.net says there were no survivors and both the people you mention are not listed as crew of BARON BLYTHSWOOD. However they are as fallible as any other historical website.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/crews/ship536.html
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Sailormannn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 January 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Good suggestion. I put a post on Uboat.Net seeking clarification on the surviving crew. It's doubtful this was my ancestor but you never know. The existing crew listings appear to be missing the surviving Seaman.

Probably worth checking for my ancestors CRS 10 as anecdotally we understand he was on the boats until 1942. Hoping to find some info in Series BT 382 and will go from there.