Author Topic: Elizabeth Chapel in 1860 New York Census  (Read 804 times)

Offline seraphic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Chapel in 1860 New York Census
« on: Saturday 28 January 17 04:39 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to locate my 2nd great grand-aunt for many years, and even now may be chasing a red herring.  Elizabeth Jane Chappel was born October 1837 St. Austell Cornwall, England, to Richard Chappel & Elizabeth Richards.
I have found an Elizabeth Chapel age 23 listed as a domestic, born England working for Wm. Crandall (Hotel Keeper) in the 1860 USA Census.  The event took place at Franklin Village, Delawere, New York, United States, pg 81.  Have not been able to locate her in the 1870 US Census, but did find an Elizabeth Chapel buried in the Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo, Erie County, New York.  Elizabeth died February 3rd 1873.
Would anyone have this lady in their Family History to either confirm or deny that I am chasing the wrong person?
My Elizabeth disappeared after the 1851 England Census, and not appearing in the 1861.
Thankyou
Christine-South Australia

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Chapel in 1860 New York Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an age for the Elizabeth Chapel who died in 1873?  There is a book for the burials at Forest Lawn that can be seen here - https://webcemeteries.com/forestlawn/StreamFile.aspx?id=404&f=BookB/C-BookB1865-1875.pdf  You have to scroll pretty far down to get to the 1873 burials, but she is listed as Elizabeth Chappel and it says she was married. 

There are additional pages that list last residence, age, cause of death, and undertaker.  The additional page doesn't say who the information belongs to, but my guess would be that the page after the one with the names would line up accordingly with the names.  If that's the case, it says Elizabeth was age 81, died of old age, and last resided at 34 Folson?. 

Offline seraphic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your help as well as the web page.  As this Elizabeth is not mine I will contine the search.  As Elizabeth doesn't appear in the US 1870 census, I can now see if I can find a marriage for this lady.
Thanks once again.
Regards,
Christine

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Have you checked to see whether the reason that she didn't appear in the 1861 England Census was that she'd got married between 1851 and 1861 and so would be listed under a married name and never left the UK. Making the leap to the USA would involve an entry on a manifest - have you checked that?

There's 3 marriages between 1851 and 1861 using exact names for Cornwall:

Elizabeth Chappel    1857    Oct-Nov-Dec    Penzance    Cornwall       
Elizabeth Chappel    1860    Jan-Feb-Mar    Redruth    Cornwall       
Elizabeth Smith Chappel    1856    Oct-Nov-Dec    Penzance    Cornwall

Michael.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline seraphic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 17 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michael,
Thankyou for replying to my request for help.
I have checked and verified that Elizabeth Chappel that was married in Penzance in 1857 father was recorded as Peter Chappel, where here father was Richard.
The one listed in Redruth in 1860 father was John.
I have not checked the Elizabeth Smith Chappel in Penzance, 1856 as Elizabeth BC had her name listed as Elizabeth Jane Chappel.
Have also checked various DC in Cornwall with no match.  Have even gone outside the Cornwall area trying to find a marriage.
I realize it is a big jump on my behalf to look to the US.  This Chappel Family immigrated to all parts of Australia and NZ, & Scotland.  Her Uncle immigrated to the US and ended up living in Canada.
I will just keep looking for her.
Thanks once again for replying.
Regards,
Christine-South Australia   

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 17 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,

I only listed 'exact' matches to start you off down that route as I think that making the assumption she married locally and never left the UK is easier to work with than as I said earlier making the leap to the USA. Anyhow allow for soundex matches rather than exact only, but keeping the location as Cornwall, then this looks promising?

Elizabeth Jane Chapple    1855    Jul-Aug-Sep    Penzance    Cornwall

Looks like this marriage was to a Matthew Berriman.
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline seraphic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 17 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michael,
Unfortunately Elizabeth Jane did not marry Matthew Berriman in 1855 - Christiana Martins became his wife.
The frustrating thing with Elizabeth is that I have looked at variations of her name (Eliza, Eliza Jane, Betty, and so on as well as the variation of her surname). 
I will continue my search both in England & USA.  I truly hope to find her.  Have even looked at various DC but she just does not want to be found at present.
Regards,
Christine

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 17 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
Are you sure Matthew Berriman married Christiana Martins? I only said it looks like Elizabeth Jane Chapple married Berriman as that was the only male name down for that volume and page number. However normally you'd expect to see males and females in pairs but the fact that there's only 3 names for that record suggests to me that there isn't a husband listed (for whatever reason) for one of the females - Chapple and Martins. Probably an indexing or transcribing error? I'd order at least the Chapple certificate because it should at least have a father's name and fingers crossed it's Richard?
Michael.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 February 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »