Author Topic: Captain Thomas Farrell, partner of Emma, "Queen of New Guinea"  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Thomas Farrell, partner of Emma, "Queen of New Guinea"
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Diane

I plan to see the volunteer Genealogist at our public library on Thurs or Fri to access Ancestry, and borrow a hard copy of Parkinson's book.   Presumably it doesn't contain a photo of Tom.

I have found this very interesting newspaper article.  It refers to a Bryan Farrell in 51st Reg't of Foot about the time he would have enlisted.  Was Tom's father in a military band?

Kevin

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8873598
The Mercury (Hobart), 19 Aug 1870

UNPUBLISHED ANECDOTE OF BYRON.-Old Joseph Abbott, the faithful messenger in our police department during the last fifteen years, was once the driver of the big drum in Her i Majesty's 51st Regiment of Foot.  In 1824-5 he served his King and country in the Ionian Isles, and on two occasions thundered the spirit stirring drum in the ante-chamber of the mess room at Cephalonia and Zante, when the immortal bard dined with the officers.  One of Mr Abbott's pupils in the band was an intelligent lad, named Bryan Farrell, who evinced a singular aptitude in acquiring a knowledge of the Greek language. This distinction soon brought Farrell under the notice of the poet, who made arrangements for the purchase of the young soldier's discharge, and afterwards sent him to St. George's College, Cephalonia, where he remained till the regiment to which he belonged was removed,  Mr. Abbott is not acquainted with Farrell's after history, but it would be curious and interesting to know the result of this instance of the thorough disinterestedness and true benovolence of tho great mind, whose genius and grandeur are comparatively only now beginning to be appreciated by a wondering world. Perhaps some reader of this paragraph may some day inform the world what became of Byron's Bryan Farrell.

Offline Diane Packer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Thomas Farrell, partner of Emma, "Queen of New Guinea"
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 06:31 BST (UK) »
Now that is interesting. I've never come across anything that suggests he was in a military band. His papers show that he served 9 years in the Ionian Islands. There is nothing that shows any musical connections. However my Aunty Kate was talented musically and played piano. Also all of Bryans papers - army and Fencible have him as illiterate. No suggestion of a knowledge of Greek.

I don't know what the protocols are with Rootschat regarding an exchange of private email addresses. Maybe you can enlighten me. I can say, that if you look at my Ancestry Tree, you can send a message to me on that and let me know your email. Also as I am involved with the Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies (AIGS) I can be contacted via them.

I had another look on line for he Thirty Years...by Parkinson and was able to download and save a PDF file, so it is still available.

Diane