Author Topic: Wellington Street Middlesbrough  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Turnbull05

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wellington Street Middlesbrough
« on: Saturday 28 January 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I would appreciate it if some one with the local knowledge could inform about the makeup of Wellington Street, Middlesbrough. I recently obtained the death certificate for my gggg grandmother Hannah Turnbull, she died on 26 February 1855 and her place of death was given as Wellington Street, Middlesbrough. The informant was a Elizabeth Richmond, who lived in Robert Street, Middlesbrough, I have wondered if the reason for the two address could have been that the Wellington Street address has been a workhouse or hospital of some kind and Robert Street is Elizabeth Richmond's home address. Elizabeth Richmond has no known association to Hannah, that I know of. I did some research and found Elizabeth with her family in the 1851 Census in Robert Street I have also found her marriage in St Cuthbert Darlington to her husband John Richmond apparently her surname before she married him was Perry. So I would really appreciate if some one could tell about Wellington Street. Thanks in anticipation, Alan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington Street Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Death certs often show the relationship of the informant to the deceased - is there anything like that on the death cert?

Anybody can report a death - they do not have to be related to the deceased.  If a death occurred in the WH and the deceased had no relatives then it would be reported by an official from the WH

I don't think Wellington St was a WH address

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Middlesbrough/

Elizabeth could have been a friend of your ancestor or one of the many women who helped with nursing the sick
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Turnbull05

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,
Thanks for replying to my query and the useful link to Middlesbrough workhouse page. Elizabeth Richmond, has no
relationship stated on the death certificate it merely states that she was present at the death, she signs with a X and her address is given as
17 Robert Street Middlesbrough. The death is reported in the registration district of Stockton sub district of Yarm.

A bit of background information on Hannah before I found her death she had been living with her granddaughter in
the 1851 census in Shildon, but sadly her granddaughter died in 1852 along with a couple of children. Hannah, had many
other members of family in the local area which is what I am struggling with if the Wellington Street address is not a
hospital or some kind of institution why was she seemingly living alone. I obviously have more research to do on
Wellington Street and into Elizabeth Richmond. I don't suppose you know what the availability of Directories is for
Middlesbrough in the 1850's

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose you know what the availability of Directories is for Middlesbrough in the 1850's

Sorry - I don't have any knowledge of that area
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Try the Cleveland Archives office in M'bro or the library.  I used to have a Godfrey map of all the streets but can't find it.  They are bound to have a copy.
A quick Google is helpful too.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
In case this is of any use:
St Cuthbert, Darlington
John Richmond of this parish married Elizabeth Perry of this parish by banns on 7 April 1823.
He signed, she made X.  Witnesses were: [looks like] Chr. Watson, signed.  Ann Lavrick, signed.

Looking at my Godfrey map of Middlesbrough 1913, Wellington Street is north of the railway line, runs north/south from Bridge Street West and still exists, on Google maps.  Robert Street is off Wellington Street, runs east after the crossroads with Brougham Street, doesn't appear on modern Google maps, so has disappeared along with so much of the St Hilda area of Middlesbrough.

Will try & scan a portion to show.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 17 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Here's a snippet of the map.