Author Topic: Burials Dunfermline/Auchterderran 1700s  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Burials Dunfermline/Auchterderran 1700s
« on: Saturday 28 January 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm not too familiar with Scottish searching... I've been at Scots People again today and it has dawned on me that I can't find burials for a large time period. My potential 6th great grandparents had three sons called David in the 1760s and assuming it was likely they weren't all alive at the same time- no burials. I can't find burials for the parents either, or anybody come to that.

Does anyone know if the burials simply don't exist at all, or if Scots People just haven't uploaded them?

Thanks
Ayashi

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Burials Dunfermline/Auchterderran 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 17 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ayashi,

As Statutory records in Scotland didn't begin until 1855, records of burials are few & far between unfortunately.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I knew Scotland was later than England with civil registration, I didn't know they didn't tend to record burials before that  :o

Well then. I guess I've got a few ancestors who are going to live forever  ::)

Thanks
Ayashi

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us the surname please?

I wonder if Norrie G (on RC) has records for the area you need?

Some were recorded, not all, in fact, very few  :(

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Going for the more recent family:

James HENDERSON (b. poss 1733) and Elizabeth nee LOW (b. poss 1737)
m. 1761 Dunfermline: Children: John 1761, David 1764, David 1768, James 1769, David 1770, Rachel 1772.

At the moment I'm working on the theory that the parents of James were John HENDERSON and Isabel (various spellings) PHILP of Dunfermline (m. 1725 for reference) and the parents of Elizabeth LOW were John LOW and Rachel WALLS (m. 1736) of Auchterderran.

I like burials- firstly to round off a life and secondly for any additional information like age. If information is a bit scarce on the Scottish side, any advice for proving? I haven't found any wills yet either.

Thanks
Ayashi

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 17 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jdi/

I haven't had a need to use that link as I have no-one connected to Fife (yet)  :-\

Annie

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm not too familiar with Scottish searching... I've been at Scots People again today and it has dawned on me that I can't find burials for a large time period. My potential 6th great grandparents had three sons called David in the 1760s and assuming it was likely they weren't all alive at the same time- no burials. I can't find burials for the parents either, or anybody come to that.

Does anyone know if the burials simply don't exist at all, or if Scots People just haven't uploaded them?

Thanks
Ayashi

Scotlandspeople, not Scots People. You won't get burial records as such in the OPRs, what you will get if you're lucky is death records, but in Scotland they tend to be much less well kept than birth/baptism and marriage records. I think I'm right in saying that in Scotland, unlike England, burial wasn't looked on as a sacrament of the church and therefore wasn't given much importance.  But it varied from parish to parish, and in some OPR death registers you get details of age at death and cause of death, whereas in other OPRs you just get the name and nothing else.

After 1855 the official death-certificates usually state where the deceased was buried.

Harry

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 January 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie, I'll have a look :)

Sorry. I know the name of the site is Scotland's People, I'm just used to shortening it in the chatroom.
My ancestor John moved to Northumberland some time before 1788. That was one of the reasons I was interested in the burials- if there were records available, but none that seemed to match his parents, it might be indicative of the whole family coming down. I'll have another rummage around and see what I can find.

Thanks
Ayashi