Author Topic: Origins of Thomas Richmond died Newbury 1862  (Read 2880 times)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Thomas Richmond died Newbury 1862
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Am I trying to make 2 + 2 = 5 ?

1. Berks Marriages (via FindMyPast) has a marriage for William Richmond and Sarah Lewis at Shaw on 3 Dec 1800.

2. Thomas Richmond s/o William & Sarah Richmond bapt 21 Oct 1802.

3. Berks Marriages (via FindMyPast) has a marriage for Sarah Richmond and Thomas POKE at Speen on 6 Nov 1803

4. Thomas POPE married Lucy Hine at Ashe on 24 Oct 1824.

For some reason did Thomas Richmond use his step-father's surname when he married? Why, when he used Richmond for the rest of his life?

I've ordered a copy of the 1824 marriage from Hants Record Office, and will get onto Berks RO tomorrow for the other two.

I will need a burial for William Richmond, but there's nothing in Berks Burials (via FindMyPast).

If Thomas was William and Sarah's only (surviving) child that does explain the absence of a Richmond clan.

I would be grateful to know what other people think of my theory.

By the way, I've just spent a fruitless hour trying to find the coverage of the Berks parish records on FindMyPast. Does anyone know if this exists?

West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

The info I gave you came from the parish registers for St Nicolas Church Newbury, a copy of which  are available to view at Newbury llibrary.

I did have a look for a marriage for William & Sarah Richmond but didn't find one, I also checked baptisms up to January 1858 for Richmond children and found these:

26th July 1857 William son of John and Jane Richmond of Newbury father's occ: Lab

30th August 1857 Charles son of John & Jane Richmond of Newbury father's occ: Lab

22nd November 1857 Anna Maria daughter of John & Jane Richmond of Newbury father's occ: Lab

7th January 1858 Joseph William son of Mary Richmond Singlewoman.

With regard to your theory, it looks good to me.

Chris

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris,

This is very kind of you to have a look for these. I don't want to seem pedantic but is this a transcript or a film/fiche of the actual St Nicholas registers?

John and Jane (Griffin) were my 2xgreat grandparents. Just like his parents, John and Jane separated; in the late 1860's she ran off with a Joshua Hamblin and lived with him for 30 years before they married.

I envy you being able to pop into Newbury Library - what I would give to have access to the Newbury Weekly News! I think the Richmonds would crop up a few times! They certainly made the county papers.

I'm now waiting for the two record offices to send copies of the three marriages, mentioned before. I really want to see a clear parish for William Richmond as I can't for the life of me guess where he came from.

Steve
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 February 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

The parish registers for St Nicolas Church  are on Film/Fiche depending on the date, some details on the liink below.

https://tinyurl.com/j5sx33t

There are some records for other parishes in and around Newbury but most of these are transcribed records and not very detailed.

Chris

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Chris,

What a wonderful resource to have locally - that must save many people a trip to Reading.

I've been having an unsuccessful look for a burial of William Richmond, using my disc of Berks Burial Index, 11th Edition.

I hope the marriage entries will shed some light - otherwise it appears the brickwall has merely shunted back two or three decades.

Steve

Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 February 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Back from a holiday, and the copies of the three marriage registers had arrived in the post. Unfortunately, there is no major breakthrough, nor confirmation of my earlier theory.

Shaw 3 December 1800
William Richmond of this parish, spinster [crossed out!] and Sarah Lewis of Monmouth, spinster
Both made a mark        witnesses signed – Emmanuel Tilbury & Wm Harnan [?]

I'm pretty certain I would have noted a Shaw baptism for William when I looked at a transcript many years ago, but I suppose this needs a recheck. Sarah Lewis was a long way from home, and opens up interesting searching.

Speen 8 November 1803
Thomas Poke of this parish, bachelor and Sarah Richmon [no “d”] of the same
Both made a mark    witnesses signed – Sarah Coxhead & Wm Law [?]

I had hoped the groom was Pope rather than Poke; although the copy is not at all clear, it does appear to be a “k” rather than a “p”. Sadly there is no indication that Sarah was a widow (or even spinster).

Ashe 24 October 1824
Thomas Pope of Overton, batchelor and Lucy Hind spinster of this parish of Ashe.
Both made a mark     witnesses – John hine [?] & mark of Mary Wood

Thomas Pope of Shaw would have been fantastic! Having said that I can't see a baptism for him in Overton.  Nor, for that matter can I find a Thomas and Lucy Pope in censuses.

In 1800-1803 there are 717 burials of a William in the Berkshire Burial Index – not  a sign of William Richmond.

Looking online, I can't see any subsequent mentions for William and Sarah Richmond, nor Thomas and Sarah Poke. Unless RootsChatters have better luck.

Although Chris found Thomas Richmond’s baptism, I feel the needle is getting smaller and the haystack is getting bigger.
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 February 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget the the reference to a parish on a marriage entry is simply where they were living at the time - where the banns were called.

It does NOT refer to their parish of origin ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JRichmond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Also struggling to trace the origins of William Richmond who married a Sarah Lewis of Monmouthshire on 3 Dec 1800 at Shaw cum Donnington, Berkshire.

They appear to have only had one son - Thomas Richmond (chr. 21 Oct 1801) (also Shaw cum Donnington) who died in 1862. I believe William and Thomas were my x5 and x4 great grandfathers respectively. Not sure if anyone has had any luck tracing the Richmonds any further back but any additional information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

J Richmond

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 January 20 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello J Richmond, and welcome to Rootschat – a great place.

I can’t believe it’s three years since I started this thread !

In that time, I am certainly no further forward, which is one reason why I did a DNA test with Ancestry  I’ve made contact with some descendents, answered some mysteries and created others, but, so far, no firm earlier origins.

We are, of course, related (3rd cousins, once removed) – I’ll send you a private message. Please let me know if it does not get through.

Steve
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop