Author Topic: john henry  (Read 1274 times)

Offline broadstairs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
john henry
« on: Sunday 29 January 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
My wifes great grandfather was John Henry , he lived at 30 Wndsor St liverpool and advertized there as a mster mariner in 1881.
In 1876 the brige Aeial sailed from liverpool with a John Henry master mariner as its Captain.I am sure that there would not be 2 John henrys in Liverpool and that its my Wifes Great grandfather. on his master Cert it states that he was born in  Dungarvan Waterford 15th May 1916. I know that the records office in Ireland was burnt down destroying all the records, and have been unable to find any information. Any help would be appreciated
Dave cooper

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: john henry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
 Let's get this out of the way first. All the records were not burnt.
http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-records-burned.html

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:07 GMT (UK) »
There's no reason why there couldn't have been more that one John Henry sailing in and out of Liverpool during that period.

on his master Cert it states that he was born in  Dungarvan Waterford 15th May 1916. I know that the records office in Ireland was burnt down destroying all the records, and have been unable to find any information.
Your earlier topic says John Henry was born 1816 not 1916-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=750042

It was mainly early Wills and Church of Ireland registers that were destroyed. Once statistics were taken from the census the material was not considered of great importance and many were deliberately pulped during World War One.
Since John Henry was born long before the start of civil registration (for births that was 1864) then there never was a birth certificate for him and you'd need to see if any church record survives.

Added- thanks to Sinann for posted the link to a more detailed explanation
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
There is two shipping records for a John Henry born Dungarvan 1817
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jdo/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
There is two shipping records for a John Henry born Dungarvan 1817
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jdo/

Which might be the 2 mentioned in previous topic-
Hi,
The only things I found were 2 Certs. for Masters Service.
Have you got these?
Maggsie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
If you send information by PM then others trying to help don't know what you might already know and they might waste time searching for those same details or miss vital clues needed to find more information.

Eliza Henry with children Rebecca & James in 1881 census-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27L-4JFJ

Eliza Henry and children in Belfast in 1901- Lizzie & Jane born South America & James born Liverpool, England-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Clifton/Brookvale_Drive/960800

Same household in 1911 lists Rebecca Murdock as Aunt to the sisters-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton/Brookvale_Drive/144580

Henry Rebecca Jane of 1 Brookvale Drive Belfast spinster died 30 March 1949 Probate Belfast 2 June to James Murdock Henry designer (retired). Effects £3469 14s. 1d.

Henry, James Murdock of 1 Brookvale Drive Belfast retired commercial artist died 27 January 1960 at Belfast City Hospital 51 Lisburn Road Belfast Probate Belfast 6 May to the reverend Francis Leslie Henry methodist minister and Robert McCarley retired draper. Effects £4085 18s. 4d.

Administration (with the Will) of the Estate of Francis Murdock late of 1 Brookvale Drive Belfast Gentleman who died 29 April 1908 granted at Belfast to Rebecca Murdock Spinster. One of the witnesses to his Will is S.E. Limena Henry [E probably for Elizabeth but called Lizzie]

Probate of the Will of Rebecca Murdock late of 1 Brookvale Drive, Belfast, Spinster, who died 24 October 1919 granted at Belfast 20 September 1920 to James Murdock Henry, Designer and Limena Henry, Spinster. Effects: £110 0s 0d.

None of that really gets you information on James Henry's Waterford origins but it does clarify what you wrote in your PM.