Author Topic: LOOKUP DEATH REG. PLEASE  (Read 2366 times)

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKUP DEATH REG. PLEASE
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Beatrice Eccles Garrity married Albert Ingle in 1958 but on the 1939 register, at 18 Varley Road, her name is recorded as Beatrice (Ingle) Garrity.  When Hugh died in 1940, his will left all to his widow Beatrice Garrity.  If he and Beatrice were recently separated, but still married, then Bridget may well have been the ‘intended’ spouse. 

1939 register for 18 Varley Road, Bolton.
Beatrice (Ingle) Garrity 1 Jun 1900
Hugh Garrity  19 October 1888
George A Garrity, 14 December 1936

The birth record I have for Hugh Garrity, has DOB 27 Oct 1892 Crossan Tyrone, reg in Irvinestown.  (except for 4 years, pretty close)!!

My family tree now has been thrown into absolute chaos.  It’s going to take some (more) time trying to fathom this one out and where John Charles fits into the picture.  I need more than a good nights sleep.

I (still) do appreciate all your input, thanks.
PippaR

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Beatrice Eccles Garrity married Albert Ingle in 1958 but on the 1939 register, at 18 Varley Road, her name is recorded as Beatrice (Ingle) Garrity.
PippaR

The 1939 register doesn't just capture information as at 1939. In some cases, as here, later dated information is added. Look at the ink colour the 'Ingle' is written in and look at the date of the corresponding ink colour on same line. This lets you see that the 1939 record was 'updated' in 1959.

My family tree now has been thrown into absolute chaos.

Right, now that is out of the way, on to the 'confusion', which, by a process of elimination, we can hopefully help to lesson.

a) The Hugh at 10 Clare Street and the Hugh at 18 Varley Road have different dates of birth and different occupations, so as you would expect, given a person should only be registered once, would seem to be entirely different people. Did you think they were the same person?

b) Did the presence of a male Eccles at Clare Street cause you to believe the Hugh there was the one married to a Beatrice Eccles? 

c) Who is actually on your main ancestral line (or the main line of the person you are researching on behalf of, if applicable)? That is to say, is it a Charles Garrity and so you are also looking for him and his potential siblings/spouse/offspring, or is it a Hugh Garrity, and you are looking for him and any of his potential siblings/spouse/offspring? Which Garrity, if neither a Charles or a Hugh, is your 'starting point', ie the one you know from personal knowledge or family records is 'yours' and that you are working back from?

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 17 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi scotmum, In response to questions a) and b), the answer is yes so a complete rethink/re-direction and cert ordering (regrettably).  Is it possible to respond privately to appropriately answer question c)?
Cheers, PippaR

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 February 17 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help; it will be sorted for sure.
regards, PippaR

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 February 17 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi scotmum, In response to questions a) and b), the answer is yes so a complete rethink/re-direction and cert ordering (regrettably).  Is it possible to respond privately to appropriately answer question c)?
Cheers, PippaR

You can use the PM system (small letter in circle tab beneath username).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline karennewton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 June 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
If it helps at all, Albert Ingle who Beatrice married in 1958 is my grandfather. They lived on Briery Street in Lancaster.

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 June 17 04:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input Karen, I appreciate it.  I've had such help from using this media as 'researchers' know the addiction to family puzzle solving!!
I have now located the correct Hugh Garrity, that is, the one born in 1892 and wife Bridget.  However, I have remained perplexed by the fact there was a Patrick Eccles at this same location and wondered if the 1888 Hugh Garrity had been a cousin, but didn't pursue it further.
cheers, PippaR