Author Topic: Burial registers - Affid???  (Read 620 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Burial registers - Affid???
« on: Monday 30 January 17 03:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at burials in Kirby Muxloe around the 1720s, particularly in 1728/9.  All of the burial records show the date of burial and then a notation which reads Affid or Affid Brought and another date which is usually a week later than the burial date. 

What is this annotation, please?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Burial registers - Affid???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 17 04:19 GMT (UK) »
In 1666 a law was passed requiring bodies to be buried in woollen.  Subsequent law was repealed in the 19th century.  The intention was to reduce imports of linen and protect the English and Welsh sheep and weaving industries.

An affidavit (a sworn oath) was required, stating that the deceased person had been buried in woollen.  Failure to comply was punishable by a fine.

http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/buried_in_wool.html

Hope this helps
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial registers - Affid???
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 17 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Makes sense now as that's obviously the explanation.

Many thanks,

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk