Author Topic: A married man and his lodger  (Read 3395 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: A married man and his lodger
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
And another Child;
Thanks for clarifying me post heywood.

Another Child;
NAME:    Thomas Joseph Baldwin
FATHER:    Enoch Baldwin
BIRTH:    20 Oct 1820 - Stourport, Worcestershire, England
BAPTISM:    29 Dec 1820 - His Father's House, London, England
VITAL:    29 Dec 1820 - His Father's House, London, England
Same details as to Mary Ann Baldwin, nee Lowes Parents Joseph/Hannah
Present at Birth Mary Baldwin, Snr and Jnr

+
Henry Pearce Baldwin 1824
Arthur Baldwin 1827
Mary Ann Baldwin 1833
Emma Jane Baldwin 1835
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »
From a Tree which has a photo of Enoch;

t was to be Enoch and his descendents who were most closely associated with the Foundry which was by now rapidly expanding. In addition in 1849 Enoch and his nephews, Pearce and William Hill took over the Wilden Iron Works which operated as E.P & W. Baldwin. Enoch married Marry Ann Lowe in 1817 and these two together were to be active supporters of Stourport Methodism. They lived in Foundry Street. Mary Ann's work in local Methodism is remembered by this plaque in the local Methodist Church. Story about watching Sunday chapel attendance from her front window. Enoch also continued in the family Methodist tradition being both Circuit Steward and Treasurer of the Sunday School. The Methodist chapel was first lit by gas provided by the foundry in 1824.There are may folk tales about Enoch and the gas tap under the family pew which enabled him to turn the gas lights up or down according to the mood he wanted to create in the chapel. There are also stories about the master tap at the Foundry which controlled the town's gas supply. Whether true or not the fact that such stories circulated and were believed perhaps tells us something about Enoch's character. Wedley describes him crossing Foundry St from the Foundry to his home wearing a leather apron- very much the "working master". Enoch Baldwin appears to have ten children. Those who were to be significant in the next generation were Thomas Joseph, Enoch (II) and John Gough. Two of his children Arthur (9) and Frances Maria (38) are buried with him in the first Monument. Enoch Baldwin died in 1857 age 64 leaving most of his property to Enoch II and Thomas Joseph. His widow survived until 1881 when she died in her 93rd year. She is commemorated on the first memorial- "Her children rise up and call her blessed"- but there is no record of her being buried in St. Michael's".

1881 Census for Mary;
Foundry Street, Lower Mitton, Worcs
Mary A. Baldwin, 89, Head, Widow, Annuitant, born Stourport
Emma J. Baldwin, 46, Daug, Unm
Fanny C. Smith, 27, Servant

Familysearch.Org has a submitted record;

Thomas BALDWIN 1751-1823
Mary GOUGH 1769-1820
Married 1 Jan 1784
(she would be barely 15)

Their Children;
GEORGE PEARCE Baldwin 1789-1840
ENOCH Baldwin 1793-1857
JOHN BARTON Baldwin 1796

Then another generation back;
John BALDWIN 1725-1757 (born Shropshire)
Mary PEARCE
Married 6 Jan 1749

I cant confirm this but others may be able too.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thomas was baptised at the chapel Stourbridge.
I think the Ancestry transcription for whatever reason has 'Father's house, London' but the image is Stourbridge  :-\

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, sorry I realised that but was too lazy to type it allup :-[

I was carried  away with looking at the Baldwins by googling!

A distant connection a British Prime Minister for you David C.

ALFRED Baldwin 1840-1908

Alfred Baldwin was the 12th child of George Pearce Baldwin, born a few months after his father’s death. The Baldwin family owned various companies including carpet manufacturing works at Bridgnorth and Tinplate works at Wolverhampton. Alfred Enoch Baldwin took over the Wilden Iron and Tin Plate Co in 1840 and ran the business with his nephews, Pearce and William trading as "E.P. & W. Baldwin of Wilden". At the age of 21, Alfred started work under his brothers, half-brothers, uncle and cousins. In 1864 two half brothers died and the control of Wilden passed in to the hands of the two elder brothers who through mismanagement brought the Wilden company close to bankruptcy. In September of 1870 at the age of 29 Alfred took control, dissolved the partnership, brought out his two brothers and by business acumen and hard work put the company back into profit.
In 1866 Alfred married Louisa MacDonald, and in August 1867, while they were living at their first home in Lower Park, Bewdley, their only son Stanley was born.
 In 1870 Alfred and his brothers dissolved the partnership and Alfred took sole charge changing the name to Baldwins Ltd. Alfred and the family moved from Bewdley to Wilden so that he could be near his employees to whom he became a father and benefactor, most living in company houses.
 Wilden House lay just across the lane from the forge and when the wind was from the west the smoke would have blown into the windows of the house. The forge, as so often in those days, was set in a pastoral landscape as can be imagined from a walk about in Wilden today.
 When the church commissioners gave a site for a church and a portion of land for burial, Alfred offered to erect a suitable church.
  On May 3rd 1879, Alfred Baldwin laid the Foundation Stone for Wilden Church, which he generously built for the community at a cost of £3,000.
 Alfred also built the village hall and the school and playing fields where the Baldwin Works' cricket team played were also provided. In 1888, Alfred's 21year old son Stanley joined the company as a partner. He was to spend twenty years in the business before following his father into politics and ultimately becoming Prime Minister (1923, 1924-29,1935-37).

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I just didn't want DC to be confused by another mention of London, which has no connection whatsoever with these baptisms.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Fair enough, thanks for that heywood.

To answer your question re 2 Sarah Baldwins born around the same time;
1851 Census she is under Sarah L Burrow born Lower Mitton
(1851 Enoc Baldwin and Family are in Lower Mitton)
Marriage 1848 has her as Sarah Lea Baldwin
Death Reg 1901 NZ has her as Sarah Lea Burrow age 75

1866 in NZ Sarah Lea and Thomas Baldwin reg a Child Enoch George Baldwin 1866
Edward Baldwin 1863 has Parents as Sarah Lee and Thomas Baldwin.

I am convinced but to be totally sure her NZ Death Cert or 1848 M/C would confirm her Father.
Its up to you really.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 13:00 GMT (UK) »
This is the other Sarah 1841 in Tenbury, Worcestershire;

Elizth Baldwin, 45
Sarah Baldwin, 15
William Baldwin, 12

She never marries that I can see and on 1851/1861/1871 Census is unm, born c 1825-7 Tenbury
She has a illeg Son George 1846 who is with her 1871 Census (age mistranscribed as 36)
1861 he is with is Grandmother Elizabeth in Tenbury
Cant find him 1851

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish,

you have done a ton of work for me, which I certainly appreciate.
It has taken me a while to update my notes accordingly and to circulate some of the details to my relatives.

NOW* can you give me the link to that family tree you mentioned that has the picture of Enoch Baldwin or perhaps clip the picture for me? The tree itself seems to have an ongoing story about the Baldwins which might be interesting to read.

ALSO* The connection to Alfred and Stanley Baldwin triggers a memory of a family anecdote told to me some years ago, which may now be relevant:-

My mother had an uncle named Henry Burrow (born NZ) who served in the army during the great war. While in England, it is said that he knocked on the door of number 10 Downing Street with the expectation that he would be able to go inside and spend time with a relative of his who worked there. The person who opened the door to him was not impressed and sent him off.

I've long regarded this as simply something a bored soldier does after a few too many beers but it's possible he may have genuinely thought he had close enough links to the Baldwins to get himself a free cuppa and biscuits.

Is there some way we can determine where the politician Baldwins were during WW1 and what positions they had in those days?

-DC

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thats an incredible story and possibly very true!

I've downloaded the image from the Tree but attaching it here is beyond me (will wait til my Son visits)

The Tree is just called Baldwin Family Tree.

Just do a bit og googling on the Baldwins and you should get where they were WW1

Ooh just google photo of enoch baldwin and the photo appears :)