Author Topic: A birth for John Hindmarsh -1740 approx.  (Read 1704 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A birth for John Hindmarsh -1740 approx.
« on: Monday 30 January 17 08:35 GMT (UK) »
John Hindmarsh died 27 Nov. 1799. BT St. Johns, Newcastle upon Tyne says John Hindmarsh was 'of the Walls of this Chapelry.' This same record says that he was 60 - hence the 1740 approx birthdate.,His will was proved 1800 and confirms the family alive at the the time.
  John married Margaret Thompson at St. Michael, Ford, 1763. BT say John Hindmarsh of the parish of St. John. Their first two children were born, baptised and soon after died and were buried at Ford and BT shows their father as John Hindmarsh of Newcastle. The next  eight children were baptised at St. Johns, Newcastle upon Tyne.  The children's names from the eldest down are: John, Mary, James, Samuel, Sarah, Ralph, Margaret. (Some of these names are the repeated after the death of a child.  )
Through the 1770s, 1780s, 1790s John Hindmarsh was in business with George Blaylock and their business Hindmarsh/Blaylock raff/timber merchants can be found in directories and in newspaper adv ts. From this it  would seem most likely John's birth would be found in Newcastle but I have not found a satisfactory one that ties in with the children's names.
I have wondered about John's marriage to Margaret Thompson from Ford, far from Newcastle. Could  John have been born in this area? 
Recently discovered information has deepened the mystery. From 1790 John Hindmarsh was paying £165 every 6 months towards the rental James Scott was paying on land at Easington Grange near Belford.Why was a Newcastle merchant investing in a farm so far away? Did James Scott (b. 1736 at Hartburn) and John Hindmarsh know each other in childhood, I.e. is Hartburn area another possibility as a birthplace for JH. ?
James Scott married Sarah Thomson of the parish of  Chatton,  1768. It is tempting to think that James' Scott's wife, Sarah and John Hindmarsh's wife, Margaret were  related, maybe sisters.  I cannot find their births either. 
The only possible births I have found  don't seem to fit with the names. I would appreciate any ideas and help.
Jo ( New Zealand )

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A birth for John Hindmarsh -1740 approx.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Durham Records Online   www.durhamrecordsonline.com

Have a baptism for a John Hindmarsh in 1741 birthplace Ford. As it's a subscription/pay as you go site I can't get the details for you, but worth looking into.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 17 11:49 GMT (UK) »
By playing around putting in possible father's names I have found that the John Hindmarsh born 1741 Ford has a father called Edward. Familysearch has a John Hindmarsh, father Edward, born 30 April 1741 and baptised 2 Aug 1741 in Bishopwearmouth. The same site has a marriage in Bishopwearmouth for an Edward Hindmarsh to a Jane Merryman 2 May 1730.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
familysearch has a John HYMERS, son of John chr st John Newcastle 15 Jul 1733.

Other possible sibling, with father John

Isabel HYMERS chr 1731 St John Newcastle

Possibly same family all with father John

Ann HINDMARSH 1738 St John
Jane HINDMARSH 1736 St JOhn
Jane HINDMARSH 1739 St John
Eleanor  "            1740 "
William  "             1745  "

Check name variants HINDMERS/HYNMERS/HINDMERCH/HYNDMARSH/HYNEMERS  etc

Marriage Newcastle St Nicholas John HINDMARCH = Jane Storey 6 Aug 1728 may be worth looking at.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Emeltom & Fiddlerslass.

That is good sleuthing Emeltom and intriguing to think of Edward  maybe moving from Ford to Bishopwearmouth.
The St John baptisms  would be good but no baptism for a John  and the other names do not resurface

I may be mistaken and John born 1740 may have skipped his parents altogether and gone to his grandparents for names for his children but he is pretty insistent on John and has 3 sons called John ( i.e. after deaths)  so I am at this stage looking for father John and mother Sarah or possibly Mary.

There is a John who had a son John b. 1733 Kirkwhelpington. the date is a little early but I would be interested to find the name of this John's wife.

I will look more closely again at your suggestions - thanks, Jo

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 17 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi ejowynne,

Not a help in your quest but I do wonder if this is connected to your family?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNNH-5L9

I have my relative John Ramsey Lunn 1820 - 1882 (son of Frederick & Elizabeth Harrison) & Jane Hindmarch/Hindmarch c1824 - c1888 (daughter William Hindmarsh/Hindmarch) married 23 Mar 1844 in Durham.

Just curious as this is a branch rather than my direct line as John Ramsey Lunn was a brother of my  3 x g g/father Frederick Lunn.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 17 03:38 GMT (UK) »
No I can't see any connection  Annie.   Jo

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Jo for your recent kind words about me on The Mariners List. I was delighted to have been able to give you some help back then and continue to follow with interest your posts both here and there.

There is a 'possible' for your RISING SUN in Richard Keys' "Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships". Sadly, no masters are mentioned.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Westoe - Good news that you are still on board!  In 2014 I knew zilch about how to research - your help was invaluable and I have kept you advice and suggestions to refer to.
Thank you for this possibility for RISING SUN.  When I look at a description of ' Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships" ( unfortunately libraries here(NZ) don't seem to have a copy )  online it says ships built from  1830 but I see that Rising Sun was built in 1814. I guess the lengthening in 1830 counted as a new beginning - what do you think? I am interested to see that all the owners are listed. When Capt Ralph Hindmarsh was said to be Insolvent he was described as a Master-Mariner, Ship-Owner and Merchant. I haven't found any evidence of the merchant or ship-owner. Adi pointed out to me that ship-owner could be 1/64th share! I suppose that this could be in any ship but I would like to check out the ships he was master of to see if he had any shares in any of them. Do you know where one would look if it was before the scope of Richard Keys book? 
Anyone following  ' a birth for John Hindmarsh -1740' I still welcome any comment  on that topic. This is just a diversion into the history of one of  John's sons.  Cheers Jo