Author Topic: Matson and Lushington Family research  (Read 5100 times)

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matson and Lushington Family research
« on: Friday 27 January 17 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in Matson and Lushington's.  Doverog et all won't find the marriage entry for Susanna Lushington and James in Hougham or Alkham, as they married in Hawkinge.

I have looked but cannot find it's actual image, but the East Kent Records state:

Kent, East Kent Marriage Index 1538-1754:
Groom: James Matson,
Born: 1663,
Residence: Hougham,
Marriage Date: 31 May 1688,
Marriage place: Hawkinge,
Bride: Sus Lushington,
Born: 1668,

It mentions nothing of the parents being deceased.  I guess Canterbury archives may have the record.  Also thye had al ot of children and a lot died.  THe digitised records are from terrible poor copies of Baptisms at Hougham, but last child was Baptised at St Margaret's at Cliffe (almost impossible to read).  For example I found three James (two previous died) and two Mary's (one died).  Also had two set of twins (one lot boys and other girls).

I have three James, two Mary, one Elizabeth (Twin to Mary, both twins died days old), Stephen, Susanna, Sara, Will (William I assume), Nathaniel (spelt Nathanawell) and Jane.

These children aren't in order.  James and Stephen were twins. 

Marriage place:
31 May 1688 • St Michael's Church, Hawkinge, Kent, England

I suspect James parents are James and Mary of Sibertswold (Sheprdswell).  This probably explains why James and Susanna named their children James and Mary repeatedly.

Any other info will be greatly received.

:)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Matson and Lushington Family research
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello UnmentionedHero.
That information is interesting as you seem to have found some different children.
I attach my current list.
I only have 2 James and 1 Mary.
I have the twins Mary and Elizabeth and the other twins James (died early) and Stephen.

I have Stephen, Susanna, Sarah, William, Nathaniel and Jane.
I can confirm that James Matson was a son of James (Jacobi) Matson 1630-1708 and Mary Pettit 1641-1714 who married 6th February 1661 at Eythorne or Shepherdswell.
The couple had 7 children, I can send more detail if you would like.

Do you have anymore about Susanna (Susan) Lushington? All I have is that she was born abt 1668 in Alkham from the marriage record.
Other information I have is -
The Matson Family Tree held at the Society of Genealogists and compiled by Dr. E.O. Goldsmith of Lowestoft records that James married an Elizabeth. This is unconfirmed.
James Matson of Hougham, Yeom., ba., 25 and Susan Lushington of Alkham, spr., 20, whose parents are dead at Alkham, Capel-le-Ferne or Hawkinge May 14 1688.

I don't have anymore about them and don't have a record to confirm their death etc.

Hope that's of help.
Please let me know if you would like more.

MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 17 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doverog,

Just double checked my information.  I will probably need reading glasses after this!

I agree with yours above, but there is an extra James and Mary.  Here we go:

James Matson married Susanna Lushington at Hawkinge - no actual parish images on any of the websites the East Kent records have it, so I guess going into Canterbury is a possibility (sorry, but I'm not local). 

John Lushington mentions in 'Gravelkind to Gentlemen' that some of the Lushington and other records are missing / poorly recorded due to the aftermath of the Tudors (Mary 1st insisting everything went back to Latin etc and then going back for Elizabeth 1st).  many churches fell into disrepair and some records have been lost.

CHILDREN OF JAMES MATSON AND SUSANNA LUSHINGTON:

There could be more kids unaccounted for and the records are too poor to read or missing.  I have given the Canterbury archive reference.

1) SARA

Sarah Matson
Baptism date: 07 Aug 1689
Archive: Canterbury Cathedral Archives
Archive reference: U3/49/1/1
Year range: 1659-1750
Record set: Kent, Canterbury Archdeaconry Baptisms 1538-1912

Sara is probably the first child after their Wedding in Hawkinge in 1688.

2) SUSANNAH

Baptism date: 19 Jul 1691
Place: Hougham, St Lawrence

3) JAMES - Number 1
He is the first son called James.  He is buried at St. Lawrence Hougham on 28 Feb 1693, before the twins James and Stephen were born and Baptised (July that year).  We can assume he was born either in 1692 (after Susannah 1691):

James Matson
Burial date: 28 Feb 1693
Burial place: Hougham, St Lawrence
Father's first name(s):   James
Mother's first name(s): Susan

Need to look at Burial entries for the above James.

4) STEPHEN - twin of JAMES number 2

Stephen Matson
Baptism date: 25 Jul 1693
Year range : 1659-1750

5) JAMES - Number 2, Twin of STEPHEN

James Matson
Baptism date: 25 Jul 1693
Year range : 1659-1750

6) WILLIAM

William Matson
Baptism date: 05 Dec 1695

To save typing, I just omitted parents and archive etc, as we know its Canterbury Archives.

7) JAMES - Number 3 - His brothers called James have died and been buried (missing a burial for James 2), or they had James number 2 baptised a second time, but looking at the pattern, I find it more likely they renamed another baby James.

James Matson
Baptism date: 06 Oct 1698
Father's first name(s): James
Mother's first name(s): Susanna

8) NATHANIEL or NATHANUWELL or Nathaniel

Nathanawell Matson
Baptism date: 11 May 1701

9) JANE

Jane Matson
Baptism date: 06 Jun 1703
Archive reference    U3/49/1/1

see next post

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 17 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Part 2 no longer available.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.
Firstly I wonder if the Administrator of this site should move our discussions to a new thread as the current title is primarily about the Hyders? I will send a message via the Contact Support button.
Perhaps Matson and Lushington families would be a better title for this part of the thread?
I've worked through your pdf and, as you say, it pretty much confirms the records I had.
I'm not so sure about 2 Marys though and I will spend more time looking through my records and get back to you. The marriage is in my records but I couldn't be sure how to tie it in.
The marriages with the Rogers family are also complicated. Again I will look through my records.
I have lodged a Family History of the Matsons of East Kent in a number of archives where various branches of the family have worked with me in the past. The last revision I made was in December 2014. Since then I have only noted new information as it has come through as people have been in contact.
I am very happy to send you a copy if it's of help. It's 22.1mb Word doc. So rather large to send via email etc. If you would like a copy on a disc the send me your address via a private message and I would be happy to copy the document and send it to you.
This is a link to an earlier version placed on line by the State Library of New South Wales -
http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/_transcript/2014/D32715/a1453.pdf
I'm not sure which versions are available on line from other archives etc but on a quick skip through this seems to be the most recent.
I will also take a look at what I have re the Lushingtons. In the meantime I attach  a copy of William Lushington Matsons' will which you may already have. (File too large - will retry)
I'm looking for the James Matsons' will and will get back to you on that one.
Are you aware of Colin Matsons' work 'Domestic Pilgrimage"?

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Will for William Lushington Matson is too large to post sorry.

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Doverog, I will get back to you.  The version is 2009.

I looked last night at the Lushington stuff and there is little to connect the dots.  The research in the book only really covers up to mid 1600s, so you need to know who married who and was a child of who in between 1650 to 1790 ish.  Then I think all the pieces will fall into place.

Seems that Richard Redman of St Margaret's at Cliffe married to Mary Matson is key.  If I can confirm that her parents are the same James and Susanna Matson (nee Lushington), then we can connect the dots a bit more.

Next part is to track all James Matsons and Susanna Lushingtons and all children with parents James and Susanna in the time window of 1675 to 1730.  This may help us catch them.

I tried it already and only came up with Mary being born at St Margerets at CLiffe to SUsanna and James Matson.  Also the marriage of Jane Matson in same parish, may indicate that they moved from Hougham.  The Lushingtons moved about alot.

The Kent research is a new bit of my research as I have been working on stuff on another branch for another relative (not Matsons Lushingtons etc) that went back to 1050!

I have an entire grandparent line that is from Kent (in fact my Grandparents were from different ends of the country and I discovered they shared a cousin via Kent!)  I have been researching for over 10 years and always put this part of the history off due to not being local.  I managed to solve 3 mysteries and track down a relative that ran off (he's dead now).  The impossible mysteries (one chap moving all over country in 1800s and changing his name 5 times) I solved, but Kent is a minefield to negotiate.

Staffordshire is another minefield and they are linked to the Burvilles, the records there seem as problematic as Kent.  I am making progress there significantly.

KENT AREAS OF INTEREST:
I do have Taylors, Redmans, Christians, Eatons, Nash, Partridge, Bailey, Shrewsbury, Lancaster, Castle, Acotts... to name a few in the Kent side, so any collaboration is a good thing.

NON KENT AREAS
I am good at finding stuff in West Country, Hampshire (Portsmouth is a minefield too, but lots of Newspaper archives), London and Essex, Dorset and Somerset.  Scotland for someone else is a problem, as the Scots charge you £3.50 to do a search of archives that aren't very well digitised.  Hampshire requires visiting and again they charge by the 30 minutes at Winchester.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look on line and both findmypast and family search have the marriage taking place at Hawkhurst Kent. Same names and dates but no image. You may need to double check this at the Maidstone archives who hold the records for this village.
Hope it helps
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 January 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look on line and both findmypast and family search have the marriage taking place at Hawkhurst Kent. Same names and dates but no image. You may need to double check this at the Maidstone archives who hold the records for this village.
Hope it helps
Regards panda

They both seem to have their information from familysearch.
Ancestry quotes two film numbers
FHL Film Number 1751915  Reference ID:   item 2
which relates to Hawkinge
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A1751915

FHL Film Number 1736725   Reference ID:   item 4
which relates to Hawkinge
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A1736725

It looks as though the ancestry & FindMyPast transcripts could be wrong  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk