Author Topic: Matson and Lushington Family research  (Read 5106 times)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matson and Lushington Family research
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 17:51 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking through and I now agree with two Mary Matsons as children of James Matson and Susanna/Susan Lushington.
So I now think we have 11 children.
I attach my list and also on the right is a list of the Lushingtons I have -
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
The last update i did on my Matson history was dated December 2014 and i called it v 3.3.
I don't believe that version is on line.
Any future updates will be v 4.
I attach a lovely drawing of the Matson Family Coat of Arms based on Halstead and drawn by Dorothy Matson who was the wife of Colin Matson.

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doverog,

Yep Doverog, I spent this evening rechecking all my research and it was orignally correct with regard to the 2 Marys.  I am glad you agree.  I think the one indicator is one son was buried at St Margaret's at Cliffe before Mary 2's birth.

Also Mary's sister Jane marries Thomas Rogers at West Cliffe a few months after Mary marries Richard Redman (entry is next in book and on same page).

I made a note of all the Susan / Susannah Lushingtons over 130 year span, to work out a possible birth place (or area) of the wife of James.  I have roughly worked out who the other Susan / Susannah Lushingtons were possibly related to.  I will do more work on that over next few days etc.

JAMES MATSON's WIFE IS NOT:

I know that she didn't come from Dymchurch.  We can discount Edward and Susan Lushington and their children (Susan, Mary Robert, Robert 2).

We can discount a Susannah Lushington wife of Robert Lushington, buried at Dymchurch on 14 May 1700.

We can discount Sousanna / Seusanna Lushington who was married to John Lushington at Leeds, Kent.  They had daughters Elenor and Mary.

We can discount Susannah Lushington who married David Lesley in 1725.

We can discount Susan Lushington who married Rev William Russell at Eythorn and Alkham.

:)

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 01:34 GMT (UK) »
The Marriage Of James Matson and Susannah Lushington, i am certain is Hawkinge.  Its not Hawkhurst.  Hawkinge is nearer Hougham, Alkham and St Margaret's at Cliffe.

I noticed that Buckland St Andrew was a suggestion (this church is near Alkham and Hougham too), but I still think it's St Michael's Hawkinge.  We're never going to have 100% of all the information.

Anyone going to Maidstone archive may be lucky enough to find it, but I've been through all the digitised transcripts on FindMyPast and looked at Family Search and Ancestry - actual images for all those places mentioned by Cowper and other churches nearby and the information for that marriage is missing.  The Hawkinge parish register doesn't cover that year).

Some records according to John Lushington - Author of Gavelkind to Gentlemen, states some of the records no longer exist.  He also suggests that due to the religious and political issues years before (including Black death etc), many of the churches fell into disrepair and Baptisms etc were not recorded or books lost.

I noticed looking at some of the actual digitised pages of BMDs for some churches, one Vicar for example had written a note in mind 1800s mentioning he'd found a book stuffed at the back of a church room badly damaged and had had it rebound to try an save it.  The baptism went back to 1500s here.  Cannot remember which parish.

I am confident it is Hawkinge, as Hawkhurst is no where near where these two lived and had children etc.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 08:15 GMT (UK) »
The Marriage Of James Matson and Susannah Lushington, i am certain is Hawkinge.  Its not Hawkhurst.  Hawkinge is nearer Hougham, Alkham and St Margaret's at Cliffe.

As I said earlier the online transcript is referenced to Hawkinge parish not Hawkhurst according to the LDS film number. As always transcripts should be checked with the original record  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I thought that posting a chart of the Lushington family members I have might help.
As you can see there are gaps as I have not researched further other than info. I came across from other Matson records.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I should add my sources -
Canterbury Cathedral Archives (Henry).
Source: Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury Vol 70 f.617, Probate 25 Aug 1638
John Lushington of Stellinge, yeoman, will dated 14 Aug 1638
To be buried at Elmsted
John Taylor the elder, Minister
Daughter Mary wife of George Pilcher
Grandchild Ann Pilcher
Daughter Ann Lushington
Sisters Mary Kember and Elizabeth Goulder
Wife Ann
Sons Henry and John

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doverog,

I will have a look at this, but from a quick glance it seams to agree with some of my new research.  I like to plot siblings marriages and children and grandchildren.  It helps eliminate people with same names.

I managed to find a whole load of things about Lushingtons on British History on line and in National Archives.  There is so much there, it will take me a while to plough through, but I will get back to you.

There are also lots of Wills transcribed for Lushingtons and I've managed to start working out who is who (cousins etc) from that.  I have cross referenced with headstone inscriptions and it all seems to tally.  I like to be thorough.

I know someone on Ancestry had saved the wrong parents to Mary Matson (our Mary 2) married Richard Redman.  They said the father was John Matson who married widowed Ann Boys (she married her cousin Thomas Boys of Betteshanger, who died without issue).  John is a sibling of the correct father of Mary 2, James who married Susanna Lushington.  John's first wife was Mary Goldfinch (her father is Stephen Goldfinch of Eastry).

I notice that lots of people have blindly copied the wrong parents of Mary 2, as often happens on sites.  I am glad that I found this post and there are people who are trying to get accurate trees.

Will get back to you.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I agree, just copying something is how we end up with the wrong info.
I've made a lot of mistakes and had to correct them as I'm sure we all do.
The thrill of handling the original documents always gives such a thrill and beats any computer copy hands over fist.
I have split the Lushington Matson will into 4 sections and will try to post them.
Can't post all 4 so will try as 4 posts each of 1 section.
The family is one I couldn't tie in although he clearly is related.
My sources include Canterbury Cathedral as well as the will.

I have a lot of "loose" Matsons especially Johns!!!!!!!