Author Topic: Jacob Conroy - 1911 Census look up request  (Read 780 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jacob Conroy - 1911 Census look up request
« on: Monday 30 January 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for an ancestor called Jacob Conroy who was born in 1888.  I have recently found out that during the 1911 Scotland census he was residing as a boarder at 75 Waverly Street, in Ballingry in Fife.  I do not have access to this census.  Would anyone be able to look this up for me and let me know more details, such as who he was residing with, what work he was doing, etc?  I would be interested to know if he may have been residing with other ancestors of mine.   Jacob's family lived in the North east of England although he was born in Hamilton, Lanarkshire.  Jacob was later killed in action during the first World War.  I will greatly appreciate any help with this.  Thank you.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Ali Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Conroy - 1911 Census look up request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I don't have access either to Scotland 1911 - however I found this military service - is this him ?

Moderator comment: the 1911 census of Scotland is available on ScotlandsPeople for a small fee, anyone can purchase the credits.
Nugent - Barking/Hackney
Utley/Hawley Yorkshire
Apperley Herefordshire
Constantine London and Lancs.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass,

In the 1911 Scotland Census he is a Coal Miner.

He is residing with Joseph Bell and his family - all born in England.

Hope this helps.

Dorrie

You can send me a PM for further info
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you dowdstree and Ali Smith for responding to my post.  I really appreciate these quick responses.  Jacob was a miner when he was in the north east of England, so I suppose it is not surprising to learn that he continued in this line of work when he was in Scotland.  He was born in Hamilton in Lanarkshre, but it appears from other research I have done that he spent the rest of his short life up until the first world war in New York, North Shields in Northumberland with the family.  He was killed in action in France in 1915 aged only 28.  One of his brothers was called James and was also active in the first World War.  However, fortunately for the latter he survived - unlike poor Jacob. :'(  Jacob's name is on a war memorial in the New York Village where he once lived.  It is nice to know that he has been honoured in this way.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help in whatever way.

Did you know that Jacob is remembered too with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

The entry states as follows -

Private Jacob Conroy  - Durham Light Infantry - Service No 11950 - Killed in Action on 25/9/1915 - Commemorated YPRES Town Cemetery Extension - Son of Thomas and the Late Isabella.

You may already have seen this.

Lest we Forget

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have seen this entry but I do appreciate your kindness in sending this in case I may not have already come across this.  I have read that after Jacob was killed no one could find a copy of his will.  Apparently, when he was home on leave he had said that if anything happened to him what he had should be given to his sister Elizabeth Watson (nee Conroy).  I have read in a newspaper that his 'heart broken family' had to send statements in outlining this and that eventually Elizabeth did becone the recipient of his effects.  I have also found it poignant to discover in my research that after Jacob's death Elizabeth called her next son Jacob Conroy Watson; the only one of her large family of children ever to be given the middle name of Conroy.  I can only think this was done in tribute and to honour the memory of her poor fallen brother ... Many thanks to both Dorrie & Ali Smith - you have both been very kind. :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
A post regarding Private Jacob Conroy, 10th Battalion Durham Light Infantry, on the Armed Forces (WW1) board may find you some extra info?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,  Thanks for this good suggestion.  This is something I had not thought of.  I do know a good bit about Jacob's World War 1 history but I do think your suggestion is a good one as perhaps someone out there may know something more.  I am really pushed for time right now but I do intend to follow your suggestion by next week.  Thanks for your post - much appreciated! :)