Author Topic: Mary Josephine Dickinson b 1844  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Perkins1820

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Josephine Dickinson b 1844
« on: Tuesday 31 January 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My 3x Great Grandfather George Murray Dickinson married Mary Josephine Eliza Milsom in 1843, and baby Mary Josephine was born in 1844.

Sadly mother Mary JE died in 1844, and I cannot find a subsequent record of baby Mary after this. I also can't find George Murray on the 1851 Census.

George subsequently married Jane Dalby in 1855, she also sadly died, and finally married Emma Eliza Watson in 1861. I have details on the families from these two marriages.

But what happened to baby Mary Dickinson born 1844? Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Perkins1820

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Josephine Dickinson b 1844
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Also FYI George Murray Dickinson was born in Ealing, Middlesex in 1818.  He married Mary Milsom in St George, Hanover Square, London (I think) and he also married Jane Dalby in the church too.

Interestingly, after the death of his second wife Jane, her (and his!) daughter Fanny Jane went to live with another family member, i assume when he met his 3rd wife.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi if he was a Surgeon b Ealing he is in Lutterworth in 1851 as DICKENSON aged 34
Census ref HO107/2078/306/11
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Mary J as an adult? It seems not. It looks as though a witness is named Elizabeth Milsom (or Wilson).

Mary Josephine Dickinson married Daniel Long 13th January 1870 at St Mary Acton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Perkins1820

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know that, that is a great insight. My fear was she had died young.

My mystery now is who looked after her when her mother died? I can't find her with her father George subsequent to her mum's passing.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 14:49 GMT (UK) »
1861 461/31/27

She is living with Elizabeth Milsom in Mortlake, Surrey.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
And also 1851 1605 /411/3

As Josephine Dickinson with Elizabeth Milsom.

Offline Peter Brading

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Milsom was born in Feb 1791 in Limehouse, and her sister Hannah followed in about 1793 (but no baptism seems to have been registered).  Hannah married Richard Brading, a "mathematician master", on 5th March 1832 in Mortlake, and they appear to have been fairly wealthy because when he died suddenly on 16th Jan 1839 he was living in Montpelier Row, Twickenham, near Orleans House. However, Hannah thereafter had to earn a living by teaching - in 1841 in Richmond Road, Kew (with pupil Emily Brading, daughter of Richard's brother Stephen) and in 1851 with her sister Elizabeth in East Sheen Lane, Mortlake - where the two 'pupils' were "Josephine Dickinson" and Jane Hannah Brading, another daughter of Stephen Brading. By 1861 the sisters and "Mary Dickinson" were at 7 Belleview Place, Mortlake.  Hannah died of bronchitis on 8th Jan 1864 and Elizabeth then moved in with Mary J & Daniel Long; she died on 8th Jan 1882, but her will had been drawn up in 1874, a few months after Mary Josephine died.
"This is the last Will and Testament of me Elizabeth Milsom of 69 Fratton Road Portsmouth in the County of Hants Spinster I give and bequeath unto Daniel Long the husband of my late grand niece Mary Josephine Long all my share or interest in the capital fund set apart under my Aunt Hannah Harriotts Will to answer the annuity of fifty pounds to my nephew Boswell McLeod Hill Milsom and the residue and rest of my estate and effects I give unto the said Daniel Long for his own use absolutely But in the event of the death of the said Daniel Long before me I wish the whole of the heretofore mentioned property to be transferred to Daniel Shawyer Long son of the aforesaid Mary Josephine and Daniel Long of 69 Fratton Road and I hereby appoint Daniel Long of 69 Fratton Road Portsmouth in the County of Hants to be my Executor of this my Will and revoking all former Wills and Codicils I have here unto subscribed my hand this 12th day of November 1874 - Elizabeth Milsom - Signed by the said Elizabeth Milsom as and for the last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in her presence at her request and in the presence of each other have hereunto signed our names - Elizabeth Pearce - Charles Pearce, Nelson Cottage Fratton Portsmouth."
PROVED at London 31st January 1882 by the oath of Daniel Shawyer (in the Will written Daniel) Long (husband of deceased great niece Mary Josephine Long) the sole Executor to whom Admon was granted.     

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Peter :)

In light of what you say, the death of Mary Josephine Long aged 29, Jun qtr 1874 Portsea Island, looks likely to be relevant.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)