Author Topic: Portrait painter John Pullan  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portrait painter John Pullan
« on: Tuesday 31 January 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
In my research I have a man John Pullan (born 1815 in Bradford) who lists his occupation as 'Portrait Painter'. This occupation appears on his marriage certificate in 1837 and in the 1841 census. I know that sometime in the late 1840's he becomes a clerk at a stuff merchants but it would seem that he could at some time make his living from being a  portrait painting. I also know  that his interest in art continues as he makes several references to this in a diary.
Any suggestions how I can find out if any of his work still exists?

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Portrait painter John Pullan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Beavances,

You've told us that he was born Bradford, but is that also where he lived and worked? If yes, that is where I would be looking - at newspaper archives, local history books, memoirs of local gentry, local museums etc.

Do you know "How" he  signed his work? Full name or initials? Try Mr. Google. Trawl for his name/initial plus surname/initials only plus "portrait" every couple of months. He may turn up in an art auction advertised online. If you have an eBay account, make him one of your saved searches with email notification. Sooner or later, something will surface.

Cheers,
Westoe

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
" DEATHS. On Tuesday last, William Alexander, aged 1 year, the son of Mr. John Pullan, portrait painter, of this town"

Bradford Observer, 15 December 1842 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both - some great ideas there, which I will have a go at. The random e-bay searches and Google searches will be easy to do.
I wonder why he put his occupation on the newspaper announcement for his son's death, this seems unusual to me.
Although he was born in Bradford and was living there in  the 1841 census when records himself as painter.  Also living there when his son died so that explains the announcement in the Bradford Observer. He was back in Bradford for the 1851 census but records his occupation as stuff merchants clerk. In the years in between these census he lived in Leeds so I will be able to look there as well.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »
"Same day. Wm. Alexander, infant son of Mr. John Pullen, portrait painter. Bradford"

Leeds Mercury, 17 December 1842
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk