Author Topic: ROYAL IRISH RIFLES  (Read 936 times)

Offline santana

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
ROYAL IRISH RIFLES
« on: Tuesday 31 January 17 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Were copies of  Attestation papers kept separately from a Soldier's War record?
I have been unable to find my GFather's W.W.1 record, and thought I may have a chance with the Attestation.
George Smyth
Royal Irish Rifles
D.O.D. December 30th 1914
Thank you for any help.

Joan

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROYAL IRISH RIFLES
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
The attestation papers formed part of his record so if they are not to be found (I've checked like you), then they must be among the 70% or so of Great War records that were destroyed by bombing in the second war.

What we can tell from what we have is that he joined the 3rd Battalion initially between March and August 1914 - his number on joining was 3/9001.  He fought however with 1st Battalion, going with them to France on 6 November 1914.  The war diary for the battalion for the period is at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352501  It does not record any particular action on 30 Dec 1914 although there were losses in the period.  The diary provides a fascinating glimpse into the "Christmas Truce" in that part of the line.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline santana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening maxD,

Thank you very much for replying!
Georges' time with the R.I.R., is very murky.
I do not know the date when he joined, I believe it was the Territorial Forces, - and then transferred to the 3rd battalion?
I found out he served the 1st and 2nd batt., however, I did not know about the 3rd.
Is it possible to find the exact date/year?
I shall go in on the site you provided, with many thanks!

Joan

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Joan

It is the medal roll which tells us his number had a 3/ prefix - 3/9001 which means he first joined the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion.  A service number blogspot tells us he joined very near to the beginning of August 1914 (the man with 3/9108 joined on 20 Aug 14).  This wasn't a Territorial Force battalion, in fact the RIR had no TF battalions but it is common for reserve and TF to be mixed up in folk memory.  (At the risk of confusing the issue, the 3rd were previously a militia battalion, also mixed up with TF).  The 3rd Battalion didn't go to war, they were a training battalion and supplied men to the other battalions. 

The medal roll also tells us that he went to war with the 1st Battalion, there is no reference to the 2nd.  We don't know, in the absence of his service record, when he transferred to the 1st Battalion.  His medal card has the date of entry to France as 6 November 1914 which was the date the 1st Battalion landed at Le Havre.

Hopefully that clarifies the murk a bit!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline santana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi maxD,

Again, I thank you very much for the information!
I had not seen the sheet you sent, nor did I know much about the T.F.
I could not enter the site from yesterday, as I am not registered.

Joan