Author Topic: Maddison/Mathewson of St John Lee/Anick  (Read 659 times)

Offline Lord_Vader

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maddison/Mathewson of St John Lee/Anick
« on: Wednesday 01 February 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am putting this out in case there is someone who knows about the Maddison/Matthewsons who attend St John Lee parish.

My research takes me back to a Samuel Maddison, born Samvil Mathetson (took a while to find the baptism due to the spelling) son of Jacobi in 1716. I have all of Samuels siblings and children, but don't know if his father is local or from elsewhere and can't seem to find a birth or marriage. Samuel lived in Anick and was buried in 1791. Another Maddison family lived in Wall and remained in the area, but wouldn't know if they are related.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Jared

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Maddison/Mathewson of St John Lee/Anick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
A James Matthewson married Isabell Marly at Halton, the neighbouring parish, on May 24th 1702. Does that seem a possibility?
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Lord_Vader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maddison/Mathewson of St John Lee/Anick
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for the reply. Yes, a few days after posting this I clicked that Jacobi was also Latin for James and there was two James' buried at St. John Lee. And connected to the Halton marriage. His son Jacobus I suspect is James who married Mary Leethard at Hexham and his son Johannas was John who married Mary Armstrong and started the Maddison's who lived at Wall. I do struggle with James' birth as no Mathewson or Maddison's are close enough to St. John Lee and seem to have had their own families. There are Maddison's married at Bywell with a George and Dorothy buried there in 1743, notes as from Acomb. They could be James' parents or brother. I have found a Matthewson family from Alnwick who all were buried in Corbridge, but resided in Alnwick, unknown if related or the significance of the family grave if they originated from there.