Author Topic: Fresh pair of eyes please. Looking for a death  (Read 3121 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh pair of eyes please. Looking for a death
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell,
I've just started research this family, quite by coincidence, I posted on Roots Chat a request for info on one George Graham who married in Glasgow in 1919.  George's parents were William Graham & Mary Jane McAuley, as noted on his marriage record,
Members responses led me to his father William a Tinsmith in Antrim they found both of them on the 1901/11 censuses, plus their marriage record which noted William's father.
According to the record, the groom's father was Nixon Graham (Tinsmith).

William born about 1859 according to his marriage record in 1879.
Father Nixon was named and was Tinsmith. There is no birth record for William but he may be linked to this family?

Nixon's Marriage:  11 May 1857 - Ballymoney, Antrim, Northern Ireland.
Spouse:  Ellen Townsley

So possible that William and others born Antrim then family moved.
to Londonderry.

Births Garvagh, Londonderry. Parents Nixon Graham & Ellen Townsley.
Nixon Graham 16 Aug 1866 - I have some notes on him I know he moved back to Antrim
Archibald Grahams 4 May 1869
John Grahams 4 May 1869
John Grahams 3 Aug 1870
Ellen Graham 3 August 1870

I will look more closely at your post tomorrow and the responses to see if I can add anything.

Regards
Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell,
I'm afraid I have not been able to find the death record for Nixon. Even though they are thought to be reasonably complete, I suppose it is always possible that one went astray.
It seems he did not appear on the 1901/1911 censuses and the latest birth I found for their children was 1870, at that time I guess he and Ellen would be in their mid-30s. There are several possible deaths for Ellen and as you say if Nixon did die in the early 1870s she may have remarried.
I did note a number of possible deaths for George Graham, father of Nixon.
Sorry I cannot help but you have taken my son in laws family further back than I could have hoped.

Kind regards
Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 March 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
William born about 1859 according to his marriage record in 1879.
Father Nixon was named and was Tinsmith. There is no birth record for William but he may be linked to this family?

Civil registration of births started in 1864
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 March 17 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that there might be a chance of a baptism. Nixon & Ellen were married in 1857, I was hoping I could find other children  between 1857 & 1866.

Regards
Colin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 March 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that there might be a chance of a baptism. Nixon & Ellen were married in 1857, I was hoping I could find other children  between 1857 & 1866.

Regards
Colin

PRONI's Guide to Church Records-
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/proni-guide-church-records
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 March 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you for all the  replies,
I have plenty on Nixon jnr ( b 1866) jnr himself, including his addresses, all certs,army and air force records etc. , (also have a photo of him and his wife off my mum, it was originally off his son, from my grandfather's possessions). Nixon looks the spit of my grandfather. My mum always said you could spot the Grahams , as they all looked like each other! According to my mum there were loads of them, G uncles, cousins of hers etc around Ballymoney , she forgot all their names - my mum knew her grandfather Nixon jnr  and can remember him quite well, he died when she was a small child, she had a load of rellies in Ballymoney, but didn't know their names, except that they look like each other  ;D,)

It is Nixon junior's father, Nixon  (and mother Ellen Townsley) that is the mystery, I only have their names off their own marriage, the marriages and births of their children, also  Griffiths valuation in the early 60's  , no deaths for either him or Ellen and nothing reported in the newspapers of him that I have found (perhaps he kept his nose clean), but he must have died somewhere...

Hi Colin, I would say your William is a son of Nixon senior, I have not found another person named Nixon  of that time with an occupation of tinsmith in the area, and even in the whole of Ireland  (except his son Nixon jnr of course who was also a tinsmith. My grandfather's brother was also called Nixon, but he wasn't a tinsmith, trade died out )

Colin, I can give you another birth  of a child to Nixon and Ellen  before civil reg.
George Graham born abt *1857 ish to 1860 who was also a tinsmith like his father (I haven't found a baptism for him, just his two marriage certs and censuses to go on for his abt age - his second marriage to Annie and 1901 census put him born around /1859/1860, around the same age as your William, but  the 1911 census he has put his age as 54, so he was  born about 1857 on this document)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballymoney__Urban__and_Ballymoney_Urban_District/Castle_Street/1008695/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballymoney/Castle_Street/125355/

He married 2nd Jan 1880 (he was of full age, so this document puts his birth before 1860, his bride was 19yrs old) in Ballymoney parish church
his bride was Margaret Ann Alexander.
No Graham witnesses on  either of the marriage certs,  father Nixon a tinsmith.
they had 6 children ( William Jas 1882, Margaret 1885,Ellen 1887,Mary Jane 1889, Rebecca 1891 and George b1893  d1918 in France)
His wife Margaret died in  25 dec 1896

George married a second time 2 Aug 1899 to Annie Lamont and had more children (Minnie 1900, Annie 1902, Robert 1903) , his age on his second marriage was 40 ( and this document puts his age about 1858/1859)
Annie his  wife died  5th April 1905

I think George born abt 1857ish to 1860 may be the oldest of Nixon's and Ellen's male children as Nixon father was a George according to his marriage cert ( Nixon and Ellen married in the reg office in Ballymoney- Both were spinster and bachelor and of full age, so I don't why they married in the reg office and not in the Parish Church...maybe Ellen was of a different religion, who knows) .
 Nixon senior may have named his first born after his father George, but  of course that doesn't always happen( and your William may be the oldest of the children and not George) , as Nixon's son( Nixon jnr)  did not name his eldest Nixon after his father and himself. He gave his youngest but one the Nixon name - so no naming order patterns with him, just to confuse things.

The boys John(69 and 70) are probably named after Ellen Townsely's father ( Ellen's father is a John)
my grandfather(Nixon jnr son) also had a brother called William (he went by the name Billy ), so the name William is definitely in the tree somewhere.

Kind Regards :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u