Author Topic: Francis or Frances ?  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Francis or Frances ?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Mine is Anne & more often than not people will go ahead & write Ann.......without even questioning whether it's with or without an 'e' i.e. I have to tell them.

My surname began with Mac (not Mc) & more often than not ditto, never asked i.e. I always had to tell them it's with an 'a'  ::)

Worse still when I would get replies to letters I'd written with my name on, sent to me without 'e' or 'a'...so annoying.

Annie Mac  ;D

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 February 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
What are the chances of (a local example) Francis married to Frances?  Sadly the male half has now expired.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 February 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I think I've got at least one example of that Guyana. I have a Francis coltman, who was put on one census as Frances (daughter), who married a Frances. I think they also had a daughter called Frances.

I also have another family that had a Frances and a Francis as siblings.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 February 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a Francis coltman, who was put on one census as Frances (daughter), who married a Frances. I think they also had a daughter called Frances.

I also have another family that had a Frances and a Francis as siblings.

A Genealogen to 1  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 February 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Here's one which is actually true!!!

I knew someone named Ronald Dick who'd had an 'important/official' letter addressed to him as 'Donald Duck'  ???  ::)  :o  ;D

Annie

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 February 17 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Slightly off topic, but I also have a jonathan Curtis with family on one census which included a son called Johnathan and a son called John.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 February 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Then you have some that purposely spell their names incorrectly.  ;D

I sometimes on purpose spell my name incorrectly . Many people here in Aus cant pronounce my name with the spelling of it.

I spell it the English and Irish way for them to pronounce it .My name is spelled the Welsh way. Here in Aus people always get the pronounciation of my name totally wrong. I get fed up correcting them , so it's far easier for me just to  write  the most common spelling for it.

I also have to use a totally different name again for purchasing things, as my bank cocked up my name on my credit card. I can't be bothered fixing it, this has been going on for years. They added my middle intial to my christian name. Say my name is Mary A Smith, I am Marya Smith according to my cards lol

God help any future decendants trying to find me.
I think it may get to the point of I don't know my own ruddy name lol - I am signing things with different spellings of my name on almost a daily basis

Lol to Donald Duck  ;D Did he frame it? I would have
There are 11 entries on the freebmd for the name Donald Duck. Imagine being stopped by the police for speeding and giving your name lol , love it!.
 I've always wanted the old  surname Bastard ( that would go down well lol) I wonder if I can change my name by deed poll. I bet they wouldn't allow it even though it is a legit surname . The name died out(and mutated for obvious reasons) Except for one elderly gentleman who is the last of the  Bastard's in his family . He has no children and has sisters who lost their names on marriage.

Kind Regards  :)
Ms Bastard (aka Cell)

Ps with regards to the Carol /Carole thing, I have an in-law with the e . She always gets very miffed off with people spelling her name without the e,(she's very protective of her little e lol)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 February 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
When I was living in Scotland there was a Doctor Donald Duck working in the Western Isles.  I think he may have been born before the more American famous Donald Duck.

I had a job where I had to take down contact details for clients and always checked on correct spelling of names such as Ann and was often told "no E we couldn't afford the extra letter".

Also I recently found an entry for Francies when checking the children of a relative.

Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 February 17 02:53 GMT (UK) »
When I was living in Scotland there was a Doctor Donald Duck working in the Western Isles.  I think he may have been born before the more American famous Donald Duck.

Jan

Here's his Obituary...http://nottoomuch.com/all-too-much/notes-and-nonsense/donald-duck-rip/

Annie