Author Topic: Francis or Frances ?  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Francis or Frances ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Our daughter is Kate Frances and our little grandson is William Francis
Often people get muddled with the spelling though  :D

Actually I am surprised by how rarely the spellings are wrong.  Franc*s has been a moderately popular name from 1750 onwards, and I can't recall finding a wrong'un in my transcriptions, despite some weird variations in other names, such as Archibell or Millecant.

I think the apparent hiccup in this example is down to the enumerator when he compiled his summary sheets, or maybe earlier.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
People will often spell a name the way they think it should be spelt.

For example my name is Carol, I often get it spelt Carole, so even today with the education that most of us have errors still occur. Back then people were not as literate as we are today.

Sorry, Carol, both versions are common and accepted variants.  I speak as one married to a Carol, so we do agree on that point.   :)

My current transcription source (~1790) seems to have been written by a dyslexic who knew his letters but not his words, unless they were common ones.  Surnames varied from page to page or line to line, and his lower-case 'e's were always mirror images.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »

For example my name is Carol, I often get it spelt Carole,so even today with the education that most of us have errors still occur.Back then people were not as literate as we are today.

A friend of ours is called Carol, but because people spelt it Carole so many times, she decided she thought it looked better spelt with an e,  ::) so now that's what she does and most people don't even know her name was registered without the e.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hubby Francis dau Frances,long line family name for both sexes. 
As my daughter points out when anyone spells hers with an I, "Its I for 'im and E for 'er  8)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hubby Francis dau Frances,long line family name for both sexes. 
As my daughter points out when anyone spells hers with an I, "Its I for 'im and E for 'er  8)

I like it  ;D

Do you have any rules for Leslie and Lesley?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all

interesting points made :)

xin

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

'its a fella'   surely  otherwise it should be 'e'
xin

Normally, yes.  I had a friend Norma Francis.  One day I asked her why her second name was spelled with an i instead of e.  Her answer "Because my mother didn't know how to spell it!"
 :P  :P  :P
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
My cousin's son has the middle name of Frances- his grandmother's first name was Frances and they decided to keep the exact same spelling rather than have his middle name as Francis.

It is, however, very common to see Francis and Frances used incorrectly in records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 February 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »

For example my name is Carol,I often get it spelt Carole,so even today with the education that most of us have errors still occur.Back then people were not as literate as we are today.

Same here Carol(e)  ;D....I have been called Caroline too in the mistaken belief that I have shortened my name to Carol
Carolwithoutane ;D
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU