Author Topic: LYNAS/LYNASS/LYNES/LYNESS. Lurgan  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Missus2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LYNAS/LYNASS/LYNES/LYNESS. Lurgan
« on: Wednesday 01 February 17 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Irish Family of my great grandfather Joseph Lynas who was born in Ireland according to the 1881 England census, his age was noted as 21yrs and he was married to Bridget nee GRANT. Family lore is that he came from Lurgan/Derry/Coleraine/Toomebridge/ near Lough Neagh; It varies with each handed down story.
I have found a Joseph Lynas born 1864 in Legacorry, Shankill; father Thomas and mother Rosa/Rose nee Phillips. Is this my Joseph I wonder. I have gathered records of Thomas and Rose’s children but do not have any definite proof that these are Joseph’s family.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LYNAS/LYNASS/LYNES/LYNESS. Lurgan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   In my tree I have a Joseph Lyness, born 1871 in Lurgan. His brother, Wright Lyness, married my Grandfather's sister, Marcella Brown. His father was called Thomas but his mother was Annie Unfortunately I have no other information on him.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Does Joseph's marriage certificate not list his father's name and occupation? if not, have you tried obtaining a record from the church (Catholic registers often list names of both parents)

Born c1858 according to 1891 census with middle initial H.-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WFHL-ZW2

1881 census age 21 and single-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27B-TX8B

Is this his death in 1930? if so, have you traced him in all possible census records to see if a more exact place of birth is listed? (1911 is the one most likely to give more than 'Ireland' but we aren't allowed to do lookups for it)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVHD-MNY5
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Missus2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello and Thank You
On Joseph's marriage cert (Stockton County Durham ENG) 1881 it states father's name Thomas, Occ. Engine Fitter. I have found Joseph in 1881 census, boarder with his future wife's family, 1891 married, born Ireland,aged 33yrs. 1901 aged 40yrs, born Ireland. 1911 aged 46yrs born Co Derry. Died in 1930 (I have death certificate).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
If the 1911 census is correct (born Co. Derry) then the Lurgan record is unlikely to be correct. Unfortunately, civil registration of births didn't start until 1864 and his baptism (if it survives) may not be online.

Most of the Lynas (various spellings) families in Co. Derry seem to be Protestant rather than Catholic.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!