Author Topic: mother's maiden name  (Read 2317 times)

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mother's maiden name
« on: Wednesday 01 February 17 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering how the authorities would know a childless widow's mother's maiden name for the death register. The person I'm thinking of died in the Sutherland Combination Poorhouse in 1920, and I'm questioning the accuracy of her mother's maiden name. The informant was the Governor.

When people were first admitted to this institution, would they have told them these details, do you think?

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: mother's maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about this one, but relatives I found in the poorhouse in Glasgow did give an enormous amount of information when they were admitted. I found the names of their parents, place of birth etc. All because the authorties often would send people back to the parish they were born if they became ill or needed charity. Mine were sent back from Glasgow to Ireland.

So maybe you can see if she had been in the poorhouse before and then look at the details given at admission.

Hope this helps.

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
As a widow, she may have been asked for her late husbands name and their date of marriage etc.  If she married 1855 onwards her parents name and mothers maiden name would be readily available from records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both. Then the info on her death record is probably correct. I'll contact the Highland Archive Centre anyway just to check if they have any records.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
What details did she give in her marriage registration re her mother? Have you found her in the ealier censuses before her marriage with any family?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 February 17 05:46 GMT (UK) »
It's to do with pronunciation and spelling - Stafford / Stavert. Different spelling of her mothers maiden name on different records - her marriage different from her death, and different siblings' death records giving either version. This has led to me originally thinking there may be several families, but it now appears most likely that it is one family. I checked her marriage, and the witnesses give further proof of this, because of their relationships to her siblings. So thanks Monica! I hadn't checked that thoroughly.

I have emailed the Highland archives to see if I can access any records they have for the Sutherland Combination Poorhouse, just to check further. But it probably isn't necessary.  :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 December 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering how the authorities would know a childless widow's mother's maiden name for the death register. The person I'm thinking of died in the Sutherland Combination Poorhouse in 1920, and I'm questioning the accuracy of her mother's maiden name. The informant was the Governor.
When people were first admitted to this institution, would they have told them these details, do you think?
Yes. Judging by the Poor Law records I have seen (from other counties, not from Sutherland), people applying to the parochial board were routinely asked for the names, and sometimes the birthplaces, of their parents. It was all part of establishing where an applicant's 'settlement' was, so that if a person with 'settlement' in another parish was given relief, the cost could be reclaimed from wherever their 'settlement' was.

The rules were (not surprisingly) complicated but most people's 'settlement' was either their parish of birth or the parish in which they had most recently lived continuously for 5 years (later reduced to 3 years). A married woman acquired her husband's 'settlement'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.