Author Topic: Memorial Inscription -- Wells Cathedral  (Read 1097 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Memorial Inscription -- Wells Cathedral
« on: Wednesday 01 February 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
This is going to be a bit of a long shot, and I am doubtless being a bit cheeky; but I just wondered if there were any kind roots-chatters out there with links to this venerable institution who visit the place regularly and might be able to locate an MI that I know exists somewhere in there  ::) and tell me exactly what it says!  (Alternatively, is there a book that records all of the cathedral's MIs that is easily accessible?  I couldn't readily find anything online).

The MI concerned relates to:

DOROTHEA LLOYD born 3rd January 1809
                           daughter of Richard and Caroline
                           married John Hughes on 5th July 1832 in Llanferris, Wales.
                           died 27th January 1848

I am at a complete loss to know why she is commemorated here, as her family came from Wales and her husband's only known geographical links are with Scotland, Northampton area and London!  So I am hoping there might be some indication in the wording of the MI as to who paid for it and thus exactly who it is who has this link with Wells.

Very many thanks.

CELTICANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Inscription -- Wells Cathedral
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
There is a book available if you google...Wells Cathedral: It's Monumental Inscriptions and Heraldry. I can't post a link as I am on the iPad.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Inscription -- Wells Cathedral -- COMPLETED, WITH THANKS!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Carol/Treetotal! :-*

How on earth did I miss that?!  Anyway, it must be in there somewhere -- I will have an online rummage.

Regards.

CELTICANNIE
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
You could ask at your library Annie to find out if it is available as a reference book.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »
CelticAnnie

Maybe someone researching the FRY family will already have this book.  I will check with my source and get back to you.

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
The book mentioned above is online here ...
https://archive.org/stream/wellscathedralit00jewerich#page/150/mode/2up/search/lloyd
(see p. 151 bottom right.)

ADDED - The relevant MI appears to be that of John Still, Bishop of Bath & Wells (p. 146). The Still pedigree on the following pages suggests that Dorothea Lloyd was connected through her husband John Hughes, who after Dorothea’s death remarried to a descendant of Bishop Still.

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 February 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for locating it for me and providing a link, Bookbox.  I'm very grateful for your help.  sorry for not getting back to you to thank you before now, but I'm in Houston, so a different time zone.

CELTICANNIE

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 February 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Great result Bookbox   8)
Carol