Author Topic: Harry siblings married same day 1797 St Stephen in Brannel  (Read 911 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Harry siblings married same day 1797 St Stephen in Brannel
« on: Thursday 02 February 17 04:15 GMT (UK) »
I have a dilemma.
How can I prove identity of William Harry who married Isabel Trethewy April 1797 St Stephen in Brannel , is a brother of Elizabeth Harry who married Edward Truscott , same day.
I originally identified William and Elizabeth bpt Nov 1774, as children of Matthew Harry and Elizabeth Benallack from St Kew.
However this has been challenged with a suggestion that instead they are children of Nicholas Harry and Philippa Lark.
They had Elizabeth Harry bpt St Mewan 30 Nov 1777. She has a brother William born Lark.
There may be other options but most important that I identify them correctly.

I will be grateful for suggestions.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry siblings married same day 1797 St Stephen in Brannel
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
well, a Nicholas Harry signed as a witness for Elizabeth's marriage, but not for William's although George Truscott signed for William's.

Elizabeth's
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jf9/ 

William's
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jfa/ 

Nicholas & Philippa's St Mewan marriage isn't on the scanned records on FamilySearch, but the transcription on the opc database shows that Nicholas made his mark rather than signed so the Nicholas who witnessed Elizabeth's marriage wasn't the one who married Miss Lark. From his signature, he looks to be the one who married Ann Davey of Cardinham in St Neot 26 Dec 1796 when he was noted as of St Stephen in Brannel.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this contribution ospry.
My Harry family keep me awake at night.
I would like to explore your suggestion that the signature of the witness Nicholas Harry is similar to that of the Nicholas who married Ann Davey.
Can you please tell me where I can find the second image ( Nicholas Harry = Ann Davey )?

I am currently leaning towards William and Elizabeth being children of Nicholas Harry and Philippa Lark. Respective witnesses might have been maternal grandparents if there had been a naming pattern.However you might have to discovered that it was a different Nicholas Harry.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 17 02:25 GMT (UK) »
osprey
I have located images of both signatures. I agree both look similar.
Also note spelling with added "e".
I think that Nicholas buried 11 Jan 1841 aged 67 at Kilvarrick Tywardreath.
Spelling Harry.
Looks promising.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 17 09:56 GMT (UK) »
there's a baptism to the couple in Stephen in Brannel in 1797, then 2 in St Neot in 1803 & 1806, 1 in St Endellion in 1812 and 1 in Lanivet where Nicholas is noted as tinner., so not sure about that burial in Tywardreath. The Nicholas Harry there may be a farmer from the baptisms on the opc database.

I wouldn't put too much faith in variant spellings. I've found clerks writing surnames in different ways within the same marriage entry. Spelling was still fluid at that time and for decades after.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 17 03:58 GMT (UK) »
I have still not been able to identify a birth/bpt for Nicholas Harry who married Ann Jane Davey at St Neot 26 Dec 1796 St Neot.
I am confident that it was him who was buried 26 Dec 1841 Tywardreath age 67. This equates to a birth year of 1774 but unable to find a bpt.The next generation lived at Tywardreath ( Kilvarrick ).I acknowledge that he was a sojourner of St Stephen in Brannel but could have been born elsewhere. His bride was "of Cardinham".

Any further suggestions please>