Author Topic: old post office in portswood?  (Read 648 times)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
old post office in portswood?
« on: Thursday 02 February 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors ran the post office in portswood from 1871 and it says the address was 3 old vine place, old portswood.
I've looked on google and google maps, but can't find anything about its location.

In 1881 the post office was in portswood road. But i believe it recently moved across the road sometime in 2013?

Also i've been looking for vine cottage in south stoneham, but cannot find that either

Any help would be most helpful
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: old post office in portswood?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1881 census, the post office was next to Vine Cottage which was next to Myrtle House, which is mentioned in this old thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=393698.0

"Myrtle House, sometimes called Myrtle Cottage, which is a deceptive name for the grounds include all the land lying bounded by Bowden Lane, Brickfield Road, Portswood Road and a line west of Somerset Road. "

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: old post office in portswood?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this map:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/105987241

You will need to zoom in - the post office is marked near the smithy just to the east and south of the middle of the map.

It's not in the same place on the next later map in the series.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk