Author Topic: Pickett from Cork  (Read 612 times)

Offline amandaconnally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pickett from Cork
« on: Thursday 02 February 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
My g grandmother was Catherine Pickett born in India. her father was peter picket and he stated he was from Ireland. He married around 1881 in Dover and put himself as a widow, to a Sophia Nash so she wasn't Catherine's mother. I can't find him in Army records or in Dover before he went to India. I can only presume that he married in Ireland before he went to India. Does anyone have any info so that I could try and find Catherine's mother?

thanks
Amanda
Connolly/Connally/Stevenson/Pickett
Webb/Maddrell/Peek

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pickett from Cork
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
It would have been helpful if you'd given us an idea of when Catherine was born so that we'd have an idea of the latest date for her parents' marriage but I did find this long thread about Catherine which suggests she was born circa 1860-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=562457.0

Civil registration of marriages in Ireland began in 1845 for non-Catholic marriages and this includes Registry Office ones but from 1864 for Catholic marriages.

If the parents' marriage was in a Catholic church then it will be in parish registers (which may or may not survive) but it will be very, very difficult to be certain you have (or have not) found the correct marriage without being sure of at least the mother's Christian name.

If it was a non-Catholic marriage then it should be found in the civil registration indexes but again very difficult to prove you've found the correct record.

I have not read through the previous thread. Do you have any idea of what Catherine's mother was called? or any other cklues?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline amandaconnally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
hi, yes i know stephen, we are distantly related, both looking for the same person. as he hasn't posted for a couple of years, and i am new to this, thought i'd see if there were any new people on here.
Webb/Maddrell/Peek

Offline amandaconnally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
i know catherine/katherine/kate was born 1858 in india. i have no idea of her mother's name, just her father and that he was in the army but born in cork. i know that she married and had my grandmother in dover in 1881, just as her dad got married, or remarried, but can't find a first wife for him
Webb/Maddrell/Peek