Author Topic: Learning Welsh  (Read 10389 times)

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Welsh
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 February 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I learnt Welsh while I was at university in Lampeter - the University of Wales, Trinity Saint David still offers Welsh language classes on-line: http://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/certificate-practical-welsh/ and should be suitable for west Wales.
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 February 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Cheers :) I've book marked it just in case.

I'm actually tempted to start learning French and German again after this. I did both at school but gave up in college.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea of your age but just thought I'd mention that learning a language in one's "senior years" is thought to help keep brain "healthy" by exercising it and so may slow down onset of Alzheimer's. To that end a charity has begun language classes for older people in my area.
My Welsh "speaking " is limited to trying to sing along with well-known hymns on St. David's Day edition of "Songs of Praise". My ancestors included Jones and Davis.
Cowban

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea of your age but just thought I'd mention that learning a language in one's "senior years" is thought to help keep brain "healthy" by exercising it and so may slow down onset of Alzheimer's. To that end a charity has begun language classes for older people in my area.
My Welsh "speaking " is limited to trying to sing along with well-known hymns on St. David's Day edition of "Songs of Praise". My ancestors included Jones and Davis.

That is true and it is so important to keep our old brains very active with learning and doing puzzles.    I do hope though that you learn more of the old British language for I feel that just doing that forges a stronger link to our ancestors who are looking on.    For those who find genders and declensions a bit too much then I recommend Turkish.   It is so much easier as it just adds on tense syllables and suffixes for prepositions to the end of words.   The alphabet was only worked out by Ataturk around 1926 so there is just one letter for each consonant or vowel - e.g. no need for the letter 'C' to represent S or K so they use it for the 'J' sound and adding a cedilla to it softens it into 'Ch' - same with 'S', add a cedilla and it softens from the 'ss' sound into 'sh'.    Only difficulty at first with Turkish is that the suffixes can change to match a preceding front or back vowel, but you soon get used to that.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 February 17 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm 28. I was going to put that in Welsh but I know there are two number systems in play now and I'm being taught the decimal.

I had a Turkish girl in my class at school. Her name was Çağla, which the teachers mispronounced all the time. Not that she cared, she just allowed it but every time the rest of the class, as one wave of peer indignation, would correct people on her behalf lol

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I learned some Irish when I was younger. At the time I had an older relative nearby with whom I could practise, but he died when he was still learning the basics. He also spoke & wrote German. One of his brothers learned 2 European language at town's "Night School" when he retired, so had 4 languages. Their elder brother used to travel to Irish classes in Manchester as a young man and won medals. They also had Church Latin of course, from childhood. (Prayers at home were Irish.) They'd all left school at 13 or 14 but never stopped learning.
I'm also interested in "Old English" languages, Anglo-Saxon and Norse. I learned an Anglo-Saxon word on here.
 I discovered from a TV series about the Vikings, that some words familiar to me were Norse.
Cowban

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm 28. I was going to put that in Welsh but I know there are two number systems in play now and I'm being taught the decimal.

I had a Turkish girl in my class at school. Her name was Çağla, which the teachers mispronounced all the time. Not that she cared, she just allowed it but every time the rest of the class, as one wave of peer indignation, would correct people on her behalf lol

Her name then would have been pronounced as 'Chala' because that is a Yumuşak ‘g’ and is a very faint 'g' sound at the back of the throat which is more or less silent to the ear.    Many Turkish names end in oǧlu (olu) meaning 'Son' and news presenters regularly get that wrong.   So did they call her 'Charlie'?     There must have been some Turkish people or at least people who had lived in Turkey, in Village Way, Rayners Lane in the early 1950's because I remember a house about half way down that had 'Evimiz' on the Gate - or was it the door?    Ev means 'House' in Turkish and 'imiz' is the suffix for 'Our'.    'im' is 'My' and 'iniz' is 'your'.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 24 February 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »

28 is dau ddeg wyth (literally, two tens eight) :)  The Welsh language has maths built into the way we say the numbers.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline papercutter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 24 February 17 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Nothing wrong with Gog Welsh !

I agree... ;D