Author Topic: Learning Welsh  (Read 10393 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Welsh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 February 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Gret diolch !

but - up here we would say "a chdi" or "sut wyt ti"

:)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 February 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
There's so many ways of saying different things  :-\

I'm already getting the feeling that most of what I'm learning on this course is going to be corrected by Welsh speakers  :-\

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 February 17 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Nothing is ever wrong - just different local idioms

Enjoy learning the language and don't worry about getting everything right !

:)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 February 17 01:33 GMT (UK) »
There was an item on a  BBC Radio 4 programme today about Radio Cymru. I think it was on " Feedback". It featured a visit to the Welsh station. Suggestions by listeners included more help for learners of Welsh who were not resident in Wales.
Cowban

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 February 17 04:39 GMT (UK) »
   Getting the right Grammar can make such a big difference to your interest and understanding while learning.    Many years ago I tried "Teach Yourself Welsh' by John T Bowen and T J Rhys Jones first published 1960 reprinted 1971.    It just didn't grab me in the same way that I have progressed with other languages.   But then I got hold of a newer Teach Yourself Welsh this time by T J Rhys on his own in 1991 and this had cassette tapes which I didn't get with the book but managed to borrow from a library.   That made all the difference.    I just couldn't put it down and the interruption only came when we made a major home move and there was so much else to be dealt with.
    Cymraeg was more or less the language that all of Britain spoke and understood at one time and I feel that that is good enough reason for anyone interested in their heritage and history to take it up.    I then discovered little things that showed me how some of the old language remains with us to this day.   For example in French and German the present tense doesn't vary as it does in English - we can say 'I Play' or 'I am playing' and I'm sure that the latter is a remnant from the old language as is an answer to a question which can be 'I Do' rather than 'Yes' or 'No'.   I think this comes from 'Y Dw'.    Just a feeling and a guess, but who knows.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I've finished the little beginner's course I was doing but currently I'm having a bit of bother finding a decent other course to start on. The OU only had the one course.  :-\

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at
www.bangor.ac.uk
This is bangor university they do have welsh courses - they may have online ones
X

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 February 17 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Diolch. I did find a couple of linked sites that will keep me occupied for a bit. Hopefully soon I'll have amassed enough sensible sentences to have a reasonable conversation  ;D

I have to say though, the section on clothes is tickling me a bit.

A lot of the words are very similar, like sgarff = scarf, sgert = skirt, trowsus = trousers etc, and then "ironing" sounds like "smoothio", which appealed to my sense of humour. With "crys" being "shirt", I'd better not get a crease in my crys or I might have to smoothio it.  ::) ;D

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 February 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....