Author Topic: Mentioning family research on a CV  (Read 10526 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mentioning family research on a CV
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 February 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Depending on the job I think it could be a bonus. 

In my last job I was always on the lookout for people who (to quote the job spec') could 'identify important facts and information from large pools of data' and were 'able to draw conclusions and make decisions using incomplete or conflicting data'.  Sound familiar?  ;D

It's ringing bells with me  ;D ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:03 GMT (UK) »
But what would you do if the interviewer had a fairly unusual surname that just happens to be one of the main lines in your tree...could you stop yourself from asking if he/she was related to the Sussex/Kent xxx?  ;D

The reverse happened in my case.  I was interviewing people and one applicant had an uncommon surname which also appears in my dad's side of the family.  I enquired if she knew where her name came from.  She didn't, but it emerged she was 'sort of' interested in her FH.  While she didn't get the job, I kept her contact details (with her permission) and a few years later we were able to connect the dots and find out a bit more of our respective families  :)  :)  :)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 February 17 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Plenty of good views & advice so far.

If an application form has asked me to list my hobbies/interests, I always put Genealogy/Family Tree (Researching Family History).

I think this shows patience, an inquisitive mind but also the 'History' shows it's more in depth & requires investigation/cross referencing etc.

I have been asked a couple of times at interviews about my hobby which fascinated the interviewers.

It's actually surprising to some how interesting it is when you explain it's not just about gathering names & dates but their lives, occupations, how & where they lived etc.

I have been asked how I find my information which probably shows I am not only computer literate but able to use my initiative to find info.

I have always been brief in my replies but making sure I mentioned words which were/would have been relevant (in some way) to the job applied for, showing I could 'apply' myself (no pun intended) as it also shows enthusiasm & interest which I think any employer would be glad to hear?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 February 17 05:05 GMT (UK) »
I'd just suggest that you also include something that shows that you can interact with real people. You don't want to give the impression  that you work with computers all day, go home and sit at the computer all night, however true.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 February 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I'd just suggest that you also include something that shows that you can interact with real people. You don't want to give the impression  that you work with computers all day, go home and sit at the computer all night, however true.

There interview where they suggested I was a weird loner I said I'd made a large number of friends via my hobby and we collaborated to help each other with our research.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 February 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
It's also...A lesson in geography, sociology, statistics, politics, latin, world wars and religion  ;D
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 February 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I's also...A lesson in geography, sociology, statistics, politics, latin, world wars and religion  ;D
Carol

When can you start?  You've got the job  :D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 February 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I's also...A lesson in geography, sociology, statistics, politics, latin, world wars and religion  ;D
Carol

When interviewed, for a university place once, I came up with roughly this and the interviewer was quite impressed and I was offered a place.

I also mentioned history; quite a big one there!  ;D I have learned in far more depth about different periods of time during my genealogy work!
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 February 17 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Why not also mention that you are also a member of a forum, which works often as a team. Solving queries as part of that team. So you are not some sad loner after all.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk