Author Topic: Mentioning family research on a CV  (Read 10445 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mentioning family research on a CV
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 04 February 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I's also...A lesson in geography, sociology, statistics, politics, latin, world wars and religion  ;D
Carol

When can you start?  You've got the job  :D

A bit past my sell by date for paid employment but thanks  ;D ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 February 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Interviewer: Tell me what did you like best in your old job?

Candidate: Well sometimes people had birthdays and there were cream cakes.

;D ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 February 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
It's also a lesson in ...

As family researcher, you might be a scientist, - see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_sciences_of_history

as family researcher, you might be a fishermen in a big pool of data,
there is a lot of rubbish in some nets - and in a lot of trees.

Regards
Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 February 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, we can all see the advantages, but to get back to the original point, a c.v. should be relevant to the post applied for, and what the interviewer might see as irrelevant stuff if possible is better not stressed.
A simple sentence as I stated earlier, or something like " I have been able to develop my research and I.T. skills in many ways, partly through study of family history.." is honestly as much as most interviewers will want to see on such a document. If at interview invited to expand on this, fine. If not, don't.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 February 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I agree TY - when we were short listing candidates we compared their CVs against the job description. Those who ended up on the short list were usually those who stuck to the point and didn't look as if they were trying to fill up space.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 February 17 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I just dipped back in to see if there were any comments.  Amazing.  Thank you all.  It is so true, I have learned so much in the last 15 months about so many weird subjects that I would never have considered.

Martin

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 18 February 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I was very curious to read this thread, as I'm currently a University Student so still have CV's to write in the future. I do not know anyone around my age who researches ancestry, I often get the impression that people around my age aren't interested in ancestry, which seems a shame to me - the things I have been able to tell my parents and grandparents, who aren't as comfortable with computers as myself, about their ancestry never fails to make me smile - it's truly a rewarding hobby; and on many occasions, sitting with my grandmother telling her about the people she never got to meet, has been an amazing experience - we have laughed and cried together, and I am so glad that I took it up at this age.

I hope that I will be able to mention my ancestry researching on my CV's, as it has certainly helped develop many skills for me - all the skills that you all have mentioned, plus it has helped my communication skills, as contacting a variety of people on a regular basis around the world is a common theme for me now. I certainly don't think it's a bad thing to research ancestry, I just hope that other people won't have negative presumptions about it.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 18 February 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
No, but I certainly wouldn't labour it directly in your c.v.
You will be better advised to stress some of the related skills, then possibly bring it up at interview, and possibly expand on it if the interviewer(s) reaction suggests that you do. Interested myself, the jobs I'd interview people for would rarely suggest that such an interest, directly, would enhance their application. Many interviewers would glaze over more or less politely, unless they were a kindred spirit, I'm afraid.
Your interest is commendable, but remember: in the eyes of most people, it IS a hobby. Substitute "Train spotting" in your c.v., and you may see what Joe Average interviewer would react.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 18 February 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I agree TY, good advice there. I had to read many CVs when shortlisting candidates for teaching jobs and we had strict guide lines what to look out for. There was a section that asked for hobbies and I would expect something like genealogy to be mentioned there. Perhaps it could be put in such a way that mentioned that you felt it had helped you to gain certain skills which you would be delighted to expand on in an interview. Then, if asked, stick to emphasising the skills you think would help in the job you are applying for, no one but you and your immediate family ( or a fellow genealogist) will be interested in how you tracked your great great grandfather down.

in the eyes of most people, it IS a hobby. Substitute "Train spotting" in your c.v., and you may see what Joe Average interviewer would react.

That's a good way to look at it TY, we do tend to forget that it is a hobby, most of us consider it a way of life.