Author Topic: Ferndale Cemetry  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ferndale Cemetry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 February 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a Military Service Record for Lewis Enock of 13 Brynteg Terrace, that states he married on the date you gave in your post - 25 /9/17, except his wife's name was given as Phoebe Jane Davies. This is also what the GRO Marriage entry shows - Phoebe J Davies

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 February 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
How bizarre - as you can see the newspaper report definitely calls her May!

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 February 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Brynteg terrace is where my grandfather Howell Davies died. I have the obituary of May(Phoebe) Enoch  this family lived in Wattstown. Phoebe was my aunt , never crossed my mind as to why she was called Phoebe instead of May. I suppose now I wil never know. Eirwen

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mabel. You are correct Mary Davies was my aunt Nan. May was her sister. I have attempted to log on to the site you mentioned, keeps telling me  password is incorrect , even though this is the one that they have given me. SO are you able to see if the birth of Griffith Evan Davies born 1887 Aug and died 1888 is mentioned mothers maiden name  Margaret Williams . Is it possible that further children's birth from the same couple may be located , even though you do not know their Christian names. Thank you Eirwen

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 February 17 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eirwen

There is an entry for a Griffith Evan Davies born M QUARTER 1888 Neath mother's maiden name Williams 11a 711. He died 1888  M Quarter in NEATH  Volume 11A  Page 445. You can search for other possible children, but there are too many possibles for children with surname Davies maiden name Williams without any further info regarding Registration district or possible names though.

However there is a HOWELL Davies mother  WILLIAMS born 1890  S Quarter in NEATH  Volume 11A  Page 767. There is no suitable Howell death other than one who died aged 3 in J Q 1894 Swansea Volume 11A  Page 460 - but he is not on the census entry of 1891 for the family at St Peters Rd Swansea Higher & Lower..

This could be your Phoebe Jane -  DAVIES, PHOEBE  JANE     mother WILLIAMS     Order
1894  S Quarter in SWANSEA  Volume 11A  Page 835

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 February 17 01:41 GMT (UK) »
This probably your Ivor - DAVIES, IVOR       WILLIAMS 1893  J Quarter in SWANSEA  Volume 11A  Page 938

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 February 17 09:42 GMT (UK) »

However there is a HOWELL Davies mother  WILLIAMS born 1890  S Quarter in NEATH  Volume 11A  Page 767. There is no suitable Howell death other than one who died aged 3 in J Q 1894 Swansea Volume 11A  Page 460 - but he is not on the census entry of 1891 for the family at St Peters Rd Swansea Higher & Lower..

I'm not sure Howell is related to our family - there's a Howel b neath c1890 in Neath on 1891 with his grandmother Elizabeth Davies and several of her teenaged daughters (although Ancestry transcribe his relationship as nephew, not grandson for some reason). By 1901 he's listed as Elizabeth's son.

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 February 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Just to thank Mabel and Sam. Believe I might be getting somewhere. This is what I have discovered. Griffith. Evan born 1887
Sarah born 1891
Mary Ann. born 1892
Ivor. born 1894
Phoebe Jane. 1895
All above Swansea
Eirwen. born 1904 
In Blaenllechau
SO if I check the birth of the Howell in 1890. born Swansea and died 1904 and his mother was a Margaret Williams, Father Howell Davies. I will have found one of the missing children. As there is a large gap between 1895 and 1904 when Eirwen was born(my mother) possibility that in that period the last missing child might have been born. What do you think. Kind regards Eirwen

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 February 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Giggsycat. You were kind enough to say that you would have a look for the children of Howell and Margaret Davies ( Williams). Have found 6 of the children still 2 missing . Believe the 2 might have died in Neath (Swansea) 1895-1900. Afraid I could not access the site you mentioned , this is the reason for my request please. Regards Eirwen