Author Topic: Wesleyan Church. Cheddar  (Read 1330 times)

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wesleyan Church. Cheddar
« on: Friday 03 February 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Can anyone please tell me where the Wesleyan Chapel was situated in Cheddar?

Yesterday I found on FreeReg a  Baptism for 2 GG Aunts 10 march 1867. Amelia Wilson and Gertrude Wilson.

Where would these records be kept and would it indicate where they are living?

Best
Ken

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wesleyan Church. Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
You can see the Weslyan Church on the map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/345954/153435/12/100730 you will have to change the zoom level.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snooziflooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 February 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
According the FreeBMD site, Gertrude was born in the Axbridge district of Somerset, volume 5c, page 583, in the December quarter of 1866.  You could purchase a copy of her birth certificate from the General Record Office for £9.25, this would tell you her address, and other details of her mum and dad.

I've looked at one or two free websites for Somerset Parish Records, such as Somerset Online Parish Clerks, but they don't seem to have any record of the Wesleyan Chapel in Cheddar.  Assuming they are housed in the Somerset Record Office in Taunton, I'd give 'em a ring on 01823 278805 to enquire if they would supply a copy of the baptism for a fee.  But it may not reveal much.

Edited: Amelia seems to have been born in the Axbridge district, volume 5c, page 587, in the March quarter of 1874. :)  Not sure why there is such a discrepancy in dates, unless I've got the wrong Amelia!!

Second edit: Gertrude appears in the censuses, born Cheddar, Somerset.  Amelia three years older born Darley Abbey, Derbyshire. ;D

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 17 22:58 GMT (UK) »
What was the Wesleyan Methodist Church appears to be called these days Cheddar Memorial Methodist Church.
Junction of Cliff Street and Wesley Mews.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Southwest heritage trust have microfilm of these records film no. T\PH\pro/62b as part of the Banwell circuit records, whether they will tell you more I do not know
Mike

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 17 13:48 GMT (UK) »
What was the Wesleyan Methodist Church appears to be called these days Cheddar Memorial Methodist Church.

In 1932 the Primitive Methodists joined with the Wesleyans and United Methodists to form the Methodist Church.
Street View https://goo.gl/maps/Z9brUVcihus
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk