Author Topic: Looking for information on Middleton and Lodge.  (Read 778 times)

Offline Haedi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information on Middleton and Lodge.
« on: Friday 03 February 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am wondering if you can help me. I am doing my husband's family tree and we have found a mystery. We have found out that Alfred James was born in the Union Workhouse,Colchester,Essex 4 Dec 1874 . His mother's name was Mary Anne Eliza South. She got pregnant by Alfred Middleton, who was in the Royal Hussars Regiment and was the son of the Middleton Family (Not sure it is that Middleton family hahaha). We know that Alfred Middleton's family wanted them to marry, but Mary's family would not allow it, because they did not think she would be happy with the class change. So Mary went on to marry Alfred Lodge in 1876 in Parish Church, Grays Thurrock.
What we are trying to find out is who was Alfred Middleton and where did he serve and where were his family from.
Mary was born to  William James South and Susannah (Winter) South.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, as I seem to have exhausted what I know.
Many thanks

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Middleton and Lodge.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :)

I see that Alfred James's birth registration is under his mother's surname South, as is to be expected where a child was born out of wedlock.

What is the source for the information you have about his natural father Alfred Middleton and his family?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Haedi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 February 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi avm228. The source is from the family. We have it written in the family tree. Recently I received some of the family history from Canada. We had only known the man as Middleton, but on the tree sent to us, it had his first name Alfred and that he was in the Royal Hussars Regiment. Other than that, I have nothing else to go on unfortunately.

Offline wendyl160

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 18 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Alfred Lodge/South was my grandfather.    I have a copy of his biography and he found out he was illegitimate at the age of 17 when he needed his birth certificate to become an apprentice to a Thames Waterman. He does not mention the name of his father only that, until that point, he had believed that the man his mother was married to (also Alfred Lodge) was his father.  One of my aunt's wrote an account of his later life and she has mentioned the name Middleton, the Hussars and that his mother was in service at the time she became pregnant but as far as I can find out she was not in the service of a family called Middleton.  We too are intrigued by this mystery!  Can i ask where your information came from? Also how is your husband linked to Alfred?

Offline wendyl160

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 18 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo, just worked out who you are.  I was a bit baffled then looking at your other posts saw your name and DOB.  Here was me thinking i'd discovered another branch of the family who had another piece of the puzzle... lol xx

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 18 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Using the 1871 census, there are 2 men named Middleton stationed in Colchester at that time.
Thomas Middleton age 20 born Ireland /private
William Middleton age 18 born Norwich Norfolk/private

There is a notation that it refers to the 4/60 K.R.R on the first page of the census as no regiment is named by the enumerator.

Could the name Alfred have become confused over time with the man she actually married 1876.

Where is Mary Ann Eliza South in 1871

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 18 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Do remember stories get embellished over time, if his mother was in service at the time of his birth marrying soldier would be a lateral endeavor, as he was a private and not an officer.

The National Archives can give you the assignments of the ( K.R.R.) Kings Royal Regiment and you can see if they were still in Colchester 1873/1874.