Author Topic: Turner brothers Transported - Tamworth to New South Wale- Who were their parents  (Read 3410 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Turner brothers Transported - Tamworth to New South Wale- Who were their parents
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 February 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Is there a particular reason for believing William was born in Tamworth? 

I just checked the convict indent which records that Tamworth is the "native place" for both William and John Turner. William's occupation is "brass cabinet locksmith 5 years" while John's is simply "locksmith".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Turner brothers Transported - Tamworth to New South Wale- Who were their parents
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Based on the dates, location of Tamworth & father William, there are these baptisms, although the mother is Mary rather than Margaret:

Tamworth, St Editha
08 May 1808 – William s/o William & Mary
17 Mar 1811 – John s/o William & Mary
23 Aug 1812 – Henry s/o William & Mary – buried 11 Sep 1812

Also possibly one of William's previous offences:

Staffordshire Advertiser 18 March 1826
William Turner aged 18 for breaking into the dwelling house of Samuel Mincher at Wednesfield on 12th February and stealing one silk gown, two pair of sheets, and other articles.  Guilty.  Against Mary Elkes, charged with the same offence, no bill was found.

Also possibly this?
Calendar of Prisoners at Quarter Sessions
1825 Michaelmas Session – William Turner aged 17.  Location of Crime: Wolverhampton

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 February 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
There is also this, don't know if connected, can't see a date

John Turner
Occupation Locksmith
Age   16
Birth town   Tamworth, Staffordshire
Entry number   3134
Series   ADM6
Source   Description book of convicts in the hulk 'Ganymede', moored at Chatham, 1814-1831
Piece number 422 Folio number 13
England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935

The records in series ADM6. They relate to convicts held in prison hulks Cumberland, Dolphin and Ganymede. Hulks were ships used as floating prisons, often when they were no longer fit for battle but were still afloat.  Records for the period 1818-1831.

The record just states his physical description.

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 February 17 17:12 GMT (UK) »
A newspaper search is bringing up the death notice for "WILLIAM TURNER, late of Wolverhampton, in the county of Stafford, Cabinet Locksmith"  in September 1820

It's not a death notice - it's notice of an an insolvent debtor's petition hearing.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/17636/page/1814

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 February 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
This is from an 1818 directory

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 February 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
There's an intriguing baptism record on Familysearch:

Sarah Turner

Baptism Date:   13 Feb 1854
Baptism Place:   Wednesbury, Stafford, England
Father:   Gulielmi Turner
Mother:   Margaritae Reilly

The latinised parents' names suggest a RC baptism. No indication of her age in the transcription

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N1XK-K2X

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 February 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »
A newspaper search is bringing up the death notice for "WILLIAM TURNER, late of Wolverhampton, in the county of Stafford, Cabinet Locksmith"  in September 1820

It's not a death notice - it's notice of an an insolvent debtor's petition hearing.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/17636/page/1814

No wonder I couldn't find it!   The headline in the preview was 'Died', so that's where I looked  ::)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 February 17 19:36 GMT (UK) »
No wonder I couldn't find it!   The headline in the preview was 'Died', so that's where I looked  ::)

Yes I was flummoxed too - then I realised that the style didn't match the death notices. The debtor petition notices are a couple of columns to the right of the deaths.

Offline finlib10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Wow.  I'm blown away at the number of responses to my query. Really appreciative and excited that the comments will lead me to uncover very useful information about the family.  This morning I received some further information from the Victorian State Library here. The librarian has searched the hospital records for John Charles Turner one of the two brothers transported.  This internal hospital record states that his mother was May Wright.  This contrasts to the information on his death certificate stating his mother was Margaret Rahiley (Reilly perhaps).
His birthplace was again listed as Tamworth Staffordshire and his father as William. (See transcript below). I have begun searching for the marriage of May Wright and William Turner but no luck yet.

Thanks for your help
Richard
Copy of transcript for John Turner:
Name:   Turner. John                               
Birthplace: Tamworth,Staffordshire England            
Age when admitted: 77             
Parents names:    Father: Turner. William, Labourer Mother: Wright. May